Re: 1998 books

  • Diane Baker
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 1999
      Staci Dumoski wrote:

      > From: Staci Dumoski <unicorn@...>
      >
      > I hope I won't be accused of self-promotion here, but the ezine I publish,
      > Phantastes (which many of you will probably find interesting), includes an
      > article by Victoria Strauss, author of _The Arm of the Stone_, on the
      > subject of world building. I enjoyed the novel very much, and the
      > article gives some really interesting insight into the writing process.
      >
      > Best,
      > Staci
      >
      > *** *** ***
      > Staci Dumoski unicorn@...
      > Editor, Phantastes http://www.nocturne.org/phantastes
      > The Online Journal of Fantasy Criticism
      >
      >I'd like to pay you a compliment on your online 'zine. It's got some great stuff; esp. enjoyed the Victoria Strauss article, and the books on world-building---two of which I already own.

      Maybe you can help me: I'm looking for some material on magical rules
      and systems. I don't necessarily want spells or original sources (a la
      Dion Fortune) but articles on how to design a good magical system. Any
      pointers? Have already checked out the *Encyclopedia of Fantasy* by
      Clute and Co. Interesting, but I really want a copy of the whole
      encyclopedia, and can't afford it just now! My library doesn't have a
      copy, so can't Xerox or take notes. Thanks. ---djb.