Re: Large economy size Hobbits?

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 1999
      In a message dated 08/31/1999 7:13:45 AM Central Daylight Time,
      dianejoy@... writes:

      > I recall JJRT said that Bandaboras Took was five feet four and could
      > ride a horse. That would be an exceptional hobbit.

      Unfortunately Diane's recollection is slightly off. "According to the Red
      Book, Bandobras Took (Bullroarer) ... was four foot five and able to ride a
      horse."

      Pippin, arriving in Minas Tirith after the Entdraughts, gives his height as
      "but four feet and not likely to grow any more." Yet he is supposed to have
      notably grown after the Entdraughts, and indeed to have surpassed Bullroarer.
      Thus he has grown as much as six inches and not noticed! You'd think he'd
      notice his pants not fitting right. (Did they have dressing-room mirrors in
      Gondor?)

      It is at least implied by JRRT that Pippin and Merry become taller than
      Bullroarer. Does anyone know where their final stature is given, and what it
      is?

      Mary S
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 1999
        In a message dated 08/31/1999 8:39:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
        tedsherman@... writes:

        > I think whether one can
        > walk 20 miles depends not as much on one's physical size as on one's
        > physical
        > condition

        It's =length of stride= that concerns me, mostly. But what would I know?
        I'm totally unathletic.

        Mary S
      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 1999
          I find on discussions with my friend who =really= knows the story, that
          Pippin and Merry got another chance at ent-draughts while on their way North
          and home after the War of the Ring. When they speak with Bilbo at Rivendell,
          they tell him that they may decide to rival Bullroarer in height, as he is
          rivaling the Old Took in age.

          Before that, at the Field of Cormallen, Sam swears that they have grown
          "three inches" since he last saw them.

          So it would seem that the growth was gradual, perhaps three inches for each
          stay with the Ents, so that when the final 6th inch was entered, Pippin would
          indeed at 4 feet 6 inches overtop Bullroarer's 4 ' 5 ".

          However, I am still worried about the average-sized Hobbit handling a
          =full-sized cart horse= (not riding it, rather driving it as it pulls a sort
          of omnibus-cart full of halflings) in one of Sylvia Hunnewell's pictures for
          the BreeMoot program book.

          Settling the important questions of our day,

          Mary S