fantasy as coping; Lathe of Heaven, take 2

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2002
      mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 19:35:00 EDT
      > From: SusanPal@...
      > Subject: Re: Two questions
      >
      > [. . . .]

      > *My* interest in pursuing the issue is to examine
      > the ways in which fantasy allows people to respond to trauma -- of any sort
      > -- in *productive* (rather than "escapist") ways that aren't possible in
      > realist narrative.
      >
      > _

      Did I recently post here, or was it somewhere else, about Ellen Kindt McKenzie's
      books, _The Troll Under the Bridge_ and _Stargone John_? You might want to take
      a look, particularly at the former, in this context. Also, you might want to
      look at _Hobkin_, by Peni Griffin. I think that these stories for children
      provide examples/images for finding productive ways to deal with real-life
      difficulties via imaginative approaches and fantasy. The McKenzie books aren't
      fantasies but they're about fantasy in the real world, and particularly about
      this matter. (McKenzie has also written a half-dozen or so fantasies, such as
      _Taash & the Jesters_ and _Drujienna's Harp_ and _The Golden Band of Eddris_,
      but I think that these non-fantasies are her forte, though I have been haunted
      by images from _Drujienna's Harp_ for many years. My daughter, Claire, loves
      the _Taash_ book, and has reread it several times.)

      > Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:08:00 EDT
      > From: Stolzi@...
      > Subject: Ursula K LeGuin, LATHE OF DREAMS
      >
      > Just a heads-up - The new dramatization airs Sunday, Sept. 8 on A&E.
      >
      > Starring James Caan and Lucas Haas - seems like an oversupply of a's there.

      Why on earth did they do a new dramatization when the first one was so
      outstanding? Why not film a different, previously unfilmed Le Guin book????

      David Lenander, Library Manager I

      University of Minnesota Bio-Medical Library Access Services

      Diehl Hall / 505 Essex SE, / Mpls., MN 55455

      Phone: work: (612)626-3375 fax: (612)626-2454 home: (651)292-8887

    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 12, 2002
        Thanks for the recommendations!

        Susan