Re: Large economy size Hobbits?

  • THEODORE SHERMAN
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 1999
      I see no problem with hobbits walking 20 miles in a day. I think whether one can
      walk 20 miles depends not as much on one's physical size as on one's physical
      condition. At first, the hobbits in TLOR did not cover much ground, but as they got
      used to the journey and "tightened their belts" they were able to cover more
      territory.

      Walking serves as a common theme/device in much English literature, precisely
      because it was both a means of transportation and a means of relaxation/holiday
      occupation. We Americans--those Americans on this list--have tended to forget the
      value and benefits of walking, largely because we rely so heavily on the
      automobile.

      Ted

      Diane Baker wrote:

      > From: Diane Baker <dianejoy@...>
      >
      > Stolzi@... wrote:
      > >
      > > From: Stolzi@...
      > >
      > > In a message dated 08/29/1999 12:02:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
      > > sschaper@... writes:
      > >
      > > > Shrinking them down seems problematic to me. There are certain laws
      > > > of physics that will be violated enough
      > > > for us to feel that it just doesn't seem right. Speed of movement,
      > > > gravity, etc will be off, and our brains will notice.
      > >
      > > Well, Steve, as you probably know, the "tiny fairies" are a joke of mine
      > > (since Tolkien so abominated them); but the Hobbits =are= going to be shrunk
      > > down from normal size actors. I think their heads will look noticeably tiny;
      > > human children in reality, and Hobbits as drawn by most artists, have larger
      > > heads in proportion than human adults. And maybe their arms and legs will
      > > seem a bit spidery...?
      > >
      > > It will be interesting to see what size is chosen. My friend and fellow
      > > Tolkien freak here, and I, did a little thinking and experimenting. Three
      > > feet is very, very, small. Four feet is more manageable for interaction -
      > > but JRRT has only exceptional Hobbits attaining that height. Yet he has even
      > > ordinary-size Hobbits walking twenty miles in a day, and leaping a =seven
      > > foot wide chasm= in Moria. (OK, pretty desperate Hobbits, but still...)
      >
      > I recall JJRT said that Bandaboras Took was five feet four and could
      > ride a horse. That would be an exceptional hobbit. Since I am 5' 4" and
      > rather rotund, I'd make a rather interesting hobbit, if a large economy
      > sized one. I have ridden a horse on one or more occasions, but none too
      > successfully. JRRT never does say *how well* the Took rode, of course!
      > Definite discrepancy of short folk walking twenty miles a day, and
      > jumping wide ditches---Poul Anderson could easily snicker, since he
      > writes about such mistakes in "Of Thud and Blunder." I guess even
      > master craftsmen make mistakes! ---djb.

      > NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9 percent FIXED APR.
      > Apply online today! http://www.onelist.com/ad/nextcard1

      Prof. Theodore James Sherman
      6545 Dynasty Drive
      Murfreesboro, TN 37128
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 1999
        In a message dated 08/31/1999 7:13:45 AM Central Daylight Time,
        dianejoy@... writes:

        > I recall JJRT said that Bandaboras Took was five feet four and could
        > ride a horse. That would be an exceptional hobbit.

        Unfortunately Diane's recollection is slightly off. "According to the Red
        Book, Bandobras Took (Bullroarer) ... was four foot five and able to ride a
        horse."

        Pippin, arriving in Minas Tirith after the Entdraughts, gives his height as
        "but four feet and not likely to grow any more." Yet he is supposed to have
        notably grown after the Entdraughts, and indeed to have surpassed Bullroarer.
        Thus he has grown as much as six inches and not noticed! You'd think he'd
        notice his pants not fitting right. (Did they have dressing-room mirrors in
        Gondor?)

        It is at least implied by JRRT that Pippin and Merry become taller than
        Bullroarer. Does anyone know where their final stature is given, and what it
        is?

        Mary S
      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 1999
          In a message dated 08/31/1999 8:39:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
          tedsherman@... writes:

          > I think whether one can
          > walk 20 miles depends not as much on one's physical size as on one's
          > physical
          > condition

          It's =length of stride= that concerns me, mostly. But what would I know?
          I'm totally unathletic.

          Mary S
        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 1999
            I find on discussions with my friend who =really= knows the story, that
            Pippin and Merry got another chance at ent-draughts while on their way North
            and home after the War of the Ring. When they speak with Bilbo at Rivendell,
            they tell him that they may decide to rival Bullroarer in height, as he is
            rivaling the Old Took in age.

            Before that, at the Field of Cormallen, Sam swears that they have grown
            "three inches" since he last saw them.

            So it would seem that the growth was gradual, perhaps three inches for each
            stay with the Ents, so that when the final 6th inch was entered, Pippin would
            indeed at 4 feet 6 inches overtop Bullroarer's 4 ' 5 ".

            However, I am still worried about the average-sized Hobbit handling a
            =full-sized cart horse= (not riding it, rather driving it as it pulls a sort
            of omnibus-cart full of halflings) in one of Sylvia Hunnewell's pictures for
            the BreeMoot program book.

            Settling the important questions of our day,

            Mary S