Re: [mythsoc] Oops!

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
      ckostyn wrote:

      > On the website http://www.lordoftherings.net/ I found mention of both
      > extended version (4-cd set) and collectors edition(5 cds- includes the
      > National Geographic DVD "Beyond the Movie").

      I'm going to have to take notes in preparation for November!

      So, let's see, what I am going to look for then is:

      The Collectors Edition in full screen format.

      Yes?

      > Yep, finally time for a DVD player--- the local Blockbusters are
      > selling Magnavox DVD players for 98.00... guess that I won't find a
      > better deal than that! :)

      I've seen them as low as $69. I bought mine in May after receiving a
      generous royalty check. (I replaced my aging VCR, too!) I paid a little
      more than $100 for the DVD because I could afford it and the model I
      checked out had some extras I wanted. WARNING: If your TV doesn't have a
      special receptor, you're going to have to purchase a special DVD adapter
      for coaxial cable compatibility. That's an extra $30 or so.

      Note to William: Consumer Reports says that DVD/VCR combos don't work
      that well. I bought one DVD and one VCR and the associate at Circuit
      City told me how to put them together. System works beautifully.

      Joan
      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
    • juliet@firinn.org
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
        On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 12:27:46PM -0500, Joan Marie Verba wrote:
        > ckostyn wrote:
        >
        > > On the website http://www.lordoftherings.net/ I found mention of both
        > > extended version (4-cd set) and collectors edition(5 cds- includes the
        > > National Geographic DVD "Beyond the Movie").
        >
        > I'm going to have to take notes in preparation for November!
        >
        > So, let's see, what I am going to look for then is:
        >
        > The Collectors Edition in full screen format.
        >
        > Yes?

        No...I think you said you wanted letterbox, right? "Full screen" is
        the opposite of that. "Wide screen" is synonymous with letterbox.
        "Full screen" means "sized to fit your TV screen", not "showing the
        full screen used in the movie theater".
      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
          juliet@... wrote:

          > No...I think you said you wanted letterbox, right? "Full screen" is
          > the opposite of that. "Wide screen" is synonymous with letterbox.
          > "Full screen" means "sized to fit your TV screen", not "showing the
          > full screen used in the movie theater".

          Okay, got it on my calendar.

          Thanks!
          Joan
          Joan Marie Verba
          verba001@...
        • ckostyn
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
            On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 12:27:46 -0500, Joan Marie Verba
            <verba001@...> scribed:

            \\>I've seen them as low as $69. I bought mine in May after receiving
            \\>generous royalty check. (I replaced my aging VCR, too!)

            From what I have been told, not all of the very inexpensive DVD
            players will play all formats, apparently DVD formatting isn't
            uniform. I do not know if this is true or not, but so I have been told
            by several people who work in a vidio/audio store.

            I paid a little
            \\>more than $100 for the DVD because I could afford it and the model
            \\>I checked out had some extras I wanted. WARNING: If your TV doesn't
            \\>have a special receptor, you're going to have to purchase a special
            \\> DVD adapter for coaxial cable compatibility. That's an extra $30
            \\>or so.

            \\>Note to William: Consumer Reports says that DVD/VCR combos don't
            \\> work that well. I bought one DVD and one VCR and the associate at
            \\> Circuit City told me how to put them together. System works
            \\>beautifully.

            From what I have been told, it is simple to link the new DVD player
            and the older VCR together. I hope that my Sony Trinitron tv is new
            enough that I won't need the coaxial receptor, guess that I will find
            out at the end of the month!

            I have the video version of the movie, knowing me I will give the
            video away and get both the 2-dvd version now, and the collectors
            edition in November. (knowing me I will give the 2-dvd version away
            once I have the collectors edition) Is this a little overkill?

            Catherine K.
          • William
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
              You are right about not all DVD's playing all formats. Some will play CD's,
              MPG's, etc. The brochure should tell you what it plays. If not, find out
              from one of the sales people. Mine wasn't that big a deal, since I don't use
              that wide a variety of media, but some folks could wind up being
              unpleasantly surprised.

              William
              > On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 12:27:46 -0500, Joan Marie Verba
              > <verba001@...> scribed:
              >

              > \\>I've seen them as low as $69. I bought mine in May after receiving
              > \\>generous royalty check. (I replaced my aging VCR, too!)
              >
              > From what I have been told, not all of the very inexpensive DVD
              > players will play all formats, apparently DVD formatting isn't
              > uniform. I do not know if this is true or not, but so I have been told
              > by several people who work in a vidio/audio store.
              >
              > I paid a little
              > \\>more than $100 for the DVD because I could afford it and the model
              > \\>I checked out had some extras I wanted. WARNING: If your TV doesn't
              > \\>have a special receptor, you're going to have to purchase a special
              > \\> DVD adapter for coaxial cable compatibility. That's an extra $30
              > \\>or so.
              >
              > \\>Note to William: Consumer Reports says that DVD/VCR combos don't
              > \\> work that well. I bought one DVD and one VCR and the associate at
              > \\> Circuit City told me how to put them together. System works
              > \\>beautifully.
              >

              > From what I have been told, it is simple to link the new DVD player
              > and the older VCR together. I hope that my Sony Trinitron tv is new
              > enough that I won't need the coaxial receptor, guess that I will find
              > out at the end of the month!
              >
              > I have the video version of the movie, knowing me I will give the
              > video away and get both the 2-dvd version now, and the collectors
              > edition in November. (knowing me I will give the 2-dvd version away
              > once I have the collectors edition) Is this a little overkill?
              >

              > Catherine K.
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • ckostyn
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 14:13:17 -0700, "William" <whitehart@...>
                scribed:

                \\>You are right about not all DVD's playing all formats. Some will
                play CD's,
                \\>MPG's, etc. The brochure should tell you what it plays. If not,
                find out
                \\>from one of the sales people. Mine wasn't that big a deal, since I
                don't use
                \\>that wide a variety of media, but some folks could wind up being
                \\>unpleasantly surprised.
                \\>
                \\>William

                Actually they led me to belive that DVD movies themselves come in
                different formats- I wasn't referring to CDs, MPGs, etc. As I said, I
                am not sure about this. Does anyone know if there is any validity to
                this?

                It seems odd that this would be an issue for DVDs manufactured for a
                North American market. If they were manufactured for Europe where they
                have different standards, then I would understand the difference.

                As far as other kinds of media, while it would be nice if it played
                cds and mpgs, I am not all that concerned about it. I am just happy
                that I can get a name brand player for such a resonable price.

                Catherine K.