Re: [mythsoc] Oops!

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
      In a message dated 8/11/2002 6:29:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      ckostyn@... writes:

      > From a commercial that I saw yesterday, it appears as if there is
      > already a 2 DVD set that has several hours of extra footage and
      > trailers from the Two Towers. I guess that it is finally time for me
      > to break down and buy a dvd player :)

      To clarify: the DVD released last week -- in VHS, full-screen and
      wide-screen formats -- is a two-disk set including the theatrical release of
      the film and a set of short, fairly content-free "extra features," interviews
      with the cast and so on. There's also a set of FELLOWSHIP trailers and TV
      spots and a 10-minute "behind the scenes" preview for TWO TOWERS, but *not*
      the theatrical trailer for TWO TOWERS.

      The extended-release DVD being released November 12 will be a four-disk set.
      The film will include an extra half-hour of footage, and the plug for this
      release on the current DVD promises that all the "extras" were shot specially
      for this set and won't have been seen before.

      Clearly the New Line marketing people want us to buy both sets. I'm being a
      good little consumer and doing just that, largely because I want to be able
      to show a few film clips to my Tolkien class before November 12. But it
      probably makes sense to wait for the Nov 12 release, if you're not already in
      acute FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING withdrawal.

      Susan

    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
        The commercial may have misled you. The 2-DVD set has the theatrical
        release on one disk, and extras on the other: the extras include short
        _previews_ for "The Two Towers" and for the 4-DVD set coming in November
        (which is the one which will have all the extra footage - about 30 minutes'
        worth, Jackson says), but aside from the tiny clips therein, it has no
        extra footage for "Fellowship" itself. What it does have are no fewer than
        three documentaries on the making of "Fellowship" which came out before the
        film did - I saw one of them in a bookstore at a promotional event - plus a
        number of mini-documentaries (5 minutes or so each) on various aspects of
        making the film, the actors, etc.

        Quite possibly a number of these will reappear on the 4-DVD set; that's not
        clear. What I have read in promotional material is that the theatrical cut
        _as such_ will not be available on the 4-DVD set, which will only have the
        longer cut, and won't support an "eliminate the additions" viewing option;
        that is, if you want to see it as it appeared in the theatre, you'll need
        to get the 2-DVD set.

        Jackson says, in the preview, that he dislikes the term "director's cut",
        and that the version in the theatres (and on the 2-DVD set) _is_ the cut he
        wanted in the theatres (undoubtably because of length concerns); but he
        likes special edition DVDs and sees no reason he shouldn't use this
        opportunity to put back in some stuff he cut. The scenes will include the
        Lorien parting gift-giving, the departure of the Fellowship from Rivendell,
        an early glimpse of the Elves (apparently inspired by the book's Gildor
        scene), and a longer (and clearer) initial conversation between Aragorn and
        Boromir.

        The preview for "The Two Towers" is interesting - Theoden is a more peppery
        and younger-looking king than I'd have expected - and there's considerable
        explanation of how Gollum is done and how the actor playing him fits into
        the computer-generation process. Like the first film, it will look really
        neat, but again I have concerns about the plot. Jackson says that the two
        towers are Orthanc and Barad-dur (Tolkien actually intended the title to be
        ambiguous - what about Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul?) and that Saruman and
        Sauron jointly intend to commit genocide [he uses that word] by eliminating
        the race of Men, a notion not supported by the book.

        At 09:26 AM 8/11/2002 , Catherine K. wrote:
        >On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 00:48:11 -0700, "William" <whitehart@...>
        >scribed:
        >
        >\\>Yes, there is a wide screen version. But wait! Word is soon there
        >will be
        >\\>another issue of the DVD with extra footage and special items. Be
        >patient. I
        >\\>rushed into buying the Harry Potter DVD and wound up with full
        >screen
        >\\>instead of wide. Wait.
        >\\>
        >\\>William
        >

        > From a commercial that I saw yesterday, it appears as if there is
        >already a 2 DVD set that has several hours of extra footage and
        >trailers from the Two Towers. I guess that it is finally time for me
        >to break down and buy a dvd player :)
        >
        >Now that I have broke lurking status, I do need to introduce myself. I
        >lurk most of the time, but have an abiding love of Tolkien, Lewis (and
        >the rest of the Inklings), as well as Dostoyevski. I am a city
        >portation planner , and am furiously working to get my thesis finished
        >in the next week or so--- so I will be heading back to lurking status
        >for some time longer. Just wanted to poke my head out from behind the
        >bushes and say hello to everyone, I really like this list.
        >

        >Catherine K.

      • ckostyn
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
          On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 08:26:36 -0800, ckostyn <ckostyn@...>
          I do need to introduce myself. I
          \\>lurk most of the time, but have an abiding love of Tolkien, Lewis
          (and
          \\>the rest of the Inklings), as well as Dostoyevski. (and lots of
          others a city
          \\>portation planner , <snip>

          Typo alert- I meant transportation planner-- apparently it is too
          early for me to type this morning :)

          Catherine K.
        • Joan Marie Verba
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
            SusanPal@... wrote:

            > I made the same goof, much to my distress . . . but my husband pointed out
            > that we can buy the extended-release version (due out Nov 12) in letterbox,
            > so that made me feel better. :-)

            I'll be sure to carefully read the packaging in the extended release
            version and get the letterbox (I think they're calling it "wide screen
            version")? I wish I'd been warned there would be 2 different versions in
            August (or if I was, it certainly slipped my mind!).

            Can someone refresh my memory as to the differences between the Aug. and
            Nov. releases?

            Thanks,
            Joan
            Joan Marie Verba
            verba001@...
          • Joan Marie Verba
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
              ckostyn wrote:

              > On the website http://www.lordoftherings.net/ I found mention of both
              > extended version (4-cd set) and collectors edition(5 cds- includes the
              > National Geographic DVD "Beyond the Movie").

              I'm going to have to take notes in preparation for November!

              So, let's see, what I am going to look for then is:

              The Collectors Edition in full screen format.

              Yes?

              > Yep, finally time for a DVD player--- the local Blockbusters are
              > selling Magnavox DVD players for 98.00... guess that I won't find a
              > better deal than that! :)

              I've seen them as low as $69. I bought mine in May after receiving a
              generous royalty check. (I replaced my aging VCR, too!) I paid a little
              more than $100 for the DVD because I could afford it and the model I
              checked out had some extras I wanted. WARNING: If your TV doesn't have a
              special receptor, you're going to have to purchase a special DVD adapter
              for coaxial cable compatibility. That's an extra $30 or so.

              Note to William: Consumer Reports says that DVD/VCR combos don't work
              that well. I bought one DVD and one VCR and the associate at Circuit
              City told me how to put them together. System works beautifully.

              Joan
              Joan Marie Verba
              verba001@...
            • ckostyn
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 00:48:11 -0700, "William" <whitehart@...>
                scribed:

                \\>Yes, there is a wide screen version. But wait! Word is soon there
                will be
                \\>another issue of the DVD with extra footage and special items. Be
                patient. I
                \\>rushed into buying the Harry Potter DVD and wound up with full
                screen
                \\>instead of wide. Wait.
                \\>
                \\>William

                On the website http://www.lordoftherings.net/ I found mention of both
                extended version (4-cd set) and collectors edition(5 cds- includes the
                National Geographic DVD "Beyond the Movie"). They don't have an index
                of contents there as of yet, but it says that they will be posting it.
                Both sets has more than 30 minutes of footage that wasn't released in
                the theater version and it has a new musical score.

                Elsewhere there IS a list of contents for the 2-dvd set, but no extra
                footage from the movie itself- though there are a lot of other extas.
                My mistake, either the commercial I saw was worded poorly, or I simply
                heard what I wanted to hear.

              • juliet@firinn.org
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                  On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 12:27:46PM -0500, Joan Marie Verba wrote:
                  > ckostyn wrote:
                  >
                  > > On the website http://www.lordoftherings.net/ I found mention of both
                  > > extended version (4-cd set) and collectors edition(5 cds- includes the
                  > > National Geographic DVD "Beyond the Movie").
                  >
                  > I'm going to have to take notes in preparation for November!
                  >
                  > So, let's see, what I am going to look for then is:
                  >
                  > The Collectors Edition in full screen format.
                  >
                  > Yes?

                  No...I think you said you wanted letterbox, right? "Full screen" is
                  the opposite of that. "Wide screen" is synonymous with letterbox.
                  "Full screen" means "sized to fit your TV screen", not "showing the
                  full screen used in the movie theater".
                • William
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                    Keep looking. I found a DVD/VCR player at WalMart for about $120.00. I
                    needed a new VCR anyway.

                    William
                    > \\>Yes, there is a wide screen version. But wait! Word is soon there
                    > will be
                    > \\>another issue of the DVD with extra footage and special items. Be
                    > patient. I
                    > \\>rushed into buying the Harry Potter DVD and wound up with full
                    > screen
                    > \\>instead of wide. Wait.
                    > \\>
                    > \\>William
                    >

                    > On the website http://www.lordoftherings.net/ I found mention of both
                    > extended version (4-cd set) and collectors edition(5 cds- includes the
                    > National Geographic DVD "Beyond the Movie"). They don't have an index
                    > of contents there as of yet, but it says that they will be posting it.
                    > Both sets has more than 30 minutes of footage that wasn't released in
                    > the theater version and it has a new musical score.
                    >
                    > Elsewhere there IS a list of contents for the 2-dvd set, but no extra
                    > footage from the movie itself- though there are a lot of other extas.
                    > My mistake, either the commercial I saw was worded poorly, or I simply
                    > heard what I wanted to hear.
                    >
                    > Yep, finally time for a DVD player--- the local Blockbusters are
                    > selling Magnavox DVD players for 98.00... guess that I won't find a
                    > better deal than that! :)
                    >
                    > Catherine K.
                    >
                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Joan Marie Verba
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                      juliet@... wrote:

                      > No...I think you said you wanted letterbox, right? "Full screen" is
                      > the opposite of that. "Wide screen" is synonymous with letterbox.
                      > "Full screen" means "sized to fit your TV screen", not "showing the
                      > full screen used in the movie theater".

                      Okay, got it on my calendar.

                      Thanks!
                      Joan
                      Joan Marie Verba
                      verba001@...
                    • ckostyn
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                        On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 12:27:46 -0500, Joan Marie Verba
                        <verba001@...> scribed:

                        \\>I've seen them as low as $69. I bought mine in May after receiving
                        \\>generous royalty check. (I replaced my aging VCR, too!)

                        From what I have been told, not all of the very inexpensive DVD
                        players will play all formats, apparently DVD formatting isn't
                        uniform. I do not know if this is true or not, but so I have been told
                        by several people who work in a vidio/audio store.

                        I paid a little
                        \\>more than $100 for the DVD because I could afford it and the model
                        \\>I checked out had some extras I wanted. WARNING: If your TV doesn't
                        \\>have a special receptor, you're going to have to purchase a special
                        \\> DVD adapter for coaxial cable compatibility. That's an extra $30
                        \\>or so.

                        \\>Note to William: Consumer Reports says that DVD/VCR combos don't
                        \\> work that well. I bought one DVD and one VCR and the associate at
                        \\> Circuit City told me how to put them together. System works
                        \\>beautifully.

                        From what I have been told, it is simple to link the new DVD player
                        and the older VCR together. I hope that my Sony Trinitron tv is new
                        enough that I won't need the coaxial receptor, guess that I will find
                        out at the end of the month!

                        I have the video version of the movie, knowing me I will give the
                        video away and get both the 2-dvd version now, and the collectors
                        edition in November. (knowing me I will give the 2-dvd version away
                        once I have the collectors edition) Is this a little overkill?

                        Catherine K.
                      • William
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                          You are right about not all DVD's playing all formats. Some will play CD's,
                          MPG's, etc. The brochure should tell you what it plays. If not, find out
                          from one of the sales people. Mine wasn't that big a deal, since I don't use
                          that wide a variety of media, but some folks could wind up being
                          unpleasantly surprised.

                          William
                          > On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 12:27:46 -0500, Joan Marie Verba
                          > <verba001@...> scribed:
                          >

                          > \\>I've seen them as low as $69. I bought mine in May after receiving
                          > \\>generous royalty check. (I replaced my aging VCR, too!)
                          >
                          > From what I have been told, not all of the very inexpensive DVD
                          > players will play all formats, apparently DVD formatting isn't
                          > uniform. I do not know if this is true or not, but so I have been told
                          > by several people who work in a vidio/audio store.
                          >
                          > I paid a little
                          > \\>more than $100 for the DVD because I could afford it and the model
                          > \\>I checked out had some extras I wanted. WARNING: If your TV doesn't
                          > \\>have a special receptor, you're going to have to purchase a special
                          > \\> DVD adapter for coaxial cable compatibility. That's an extra $30
                          > \\>or so.
                          >
                          > \\>Note to William: Consumer Reports says that DVD/VCR combos don't
                          > \\> work that well. I bought one DVD and one VCR and the associate at
                          > \\> Circuit City told me how to put them together. System works
                          > \\>beautifully.
                          >

                          > From what I have been told, it is simple to link the new DVD player
                          > and the older VCR together. I hope that my Sony Trinitron tv is new
                          > enough that I won't need the coaxial receptor, guess that I will find
                          > out at the end of the month!
                          >
                          > I have the video version of the movie, knowing me I will give the
                          > video away and get both the 2-dvd version now, and the collectors
                          > edition in November. (knowing me I will give the 2-dvd version away
                          > once I have the collectors edition) Is this a little overkill?
                          >

                          > Catherine K.
                          >
                          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • ckostyn
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                            On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 14:13:17 -0700, "William" <whitehart@...>
                            scribed:

                            \\>You are right about not all DVD's playing all formats. Some will
                            play CD's,
                            \\>MPG's, etc. The brochure should tell you what it plays. If not,
                            find out
                            \\>from one of the sales people. Mine wasn't that big a deal, since I
                            don't use
                            \\>that wide a variety of media, but some folks could wind up being
                            \\>unpleasantly surprised.
                            \\>
                            \\>William

                            Actually they led me to belive that DVD movies themselves come in
                            different formats- I wasn't referring to CDs, MPGs, etc. As I said, I
                            am not sure about this. Does anyone know if there is any validity to
                            this?

                            It seems odd that this would be an issue for DVDs manufactured for a
                            North American market. If they were manufactured for Europe where they
                            have different standards, then I would understand the difference.

                            As far as other kinds of media, while it would be nice if it played
                            cds and mpgs, I am not all that concerned about it. I am just happy
                            that I can get a name brand player for such a resonable price.

                            Catherine K.