Re: More LotR casting

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 29, 1999
      In a message dated 08/29/1999 12:02:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
      sschaper@... writes:

      > Shrinking them down seems problematic to me. There are certain laws
      > of physics that will be violated enough
      > for us to feel that it just doesn't seem right. Speed of movement,
      > gravity, etc will be off, and our brains will notice.

      Well, Steve, as you probably know, the "tiny fairies" are a joke of mine
      (since Tolkien so abominated them); but the Hobbits =are= going to be shrunk
      down from normal size actors. I think their heads will look noticeably tiny;
      human children in reality, and Hobbits as drawn by most artists, have larger
      heads in proportion than human adults. And maybe their arms and legs will
      seem a bit spidery...?

      It will be interesting to see what size is chosen. My friend and fellow
      Tolkien freak here, and I, did a little thinking and experimenting. Three
      feet is very, very, small. Four feet is more manageable for interaction -
      but JRRT has only exceptional Hobbits attaining that height. Yet he has even
      ordinary-size Hobbits walking twenty miles in a day, and leaping a =seven
      foot wide chasm= in Moria. (OK, pretty desperate Hobbits, but still...)

      Grace and I thought that four feet was more reasonable, but after all,
      "three-quarters-lings" or "two-thirds-lings" wouldn't have sounded half so
      well, would it?

      Mary S