Oops!

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 10, 2002
      This morning I went out and bought a LotR DVD. About halfway through it,
      I discovered that I had the "full screen" version. I have a feeling this
      means that there's also a "letterbox" version (which I would have
      preferred if I had been looking for it). Can someone confirm that there
      is such a version?

      Thanks,
      Joan
      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
    • Madame K
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 10, 2002
        Yes, indeed, Joan! I own the letterbox version. Good luck--maybe you can
        trade it in.

        Mary Jo

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 10, 2002
          In a message dated 8/10/2002 3:17:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          mjrksr@... writes:

          > Yes, indeed, Joan! I own the letterbox version. Good luck--maybe you can
          > trade it in.

          I made the same goof, much to my distress . . . but my husband pointed out
          that we can buy the extended-release version (due out Nov 12) in letterbox,
          so that made me feel better. :-)

          Susan

        • William
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
            Yes, there is a wide screen version. But wait! Word is soon there will be
            another issue of the DVD with extra footage and special items. Be patient. I
            rushed into buying the Harry Potter DVD and wound up with full screen
            instead of wide. Wait.

            William

          • SusanPal@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
              In a message dated 8/11/2002 6:29:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
              ckostyn@... writes:

              > From a commercial that I saw yesterday, it appears as if there is
              > already a 2 DVD set that has several hours of extra footage and
              > trailers from the Two Towers. I guess that it is finally time for me
              > to break down and buy a dvd player :)

              To clarify: the DVD released last week -- in VHS, full-screen and
              wide-screen formats -- is a two-disk set including the theatrical release of
              the film and a set of short, fairly content-free "extra features," interviews
              with the cast and so on. There's also a set of FELLOWSHIP trailers and TV
              spots and a 10-minute "behind the scenes" preview for TWO TOWERS, but *not*
              the theatrical trailer for TWO TOWERS.

              The extended-release DVD being released November 12 will be a four-disk set.
              The film will include an extra half-hour of footage, and the plug for this
              release on the current DVD promises that all the "extras" were shot specially
              for this set and won't have been seen before.

              Clearly the New Line marketing people want us to buy both sets. I'm being a
              good little consumer and doing just that, largely because I want to be able
              to show a few film clips to my Tolkien class before November 12. But it
              probably makes sense to wait for the Nov 12 release, if you're not already in
              acute FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING withdrawal.

              Susan

            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                The commercial may have misled you. The 2-DVD set has the theatrical
                release on one disk, and extras on the other: the extras include short
                _previews_ for "The Two Towers" and for the 4-DVD set coming in November
                (which is the one which will have all the extra footage - about 30 minutes'
                worth, Jackson says), but aside from the tiny clips therein, it has no
                extra footage for "Fellowship" itself. What it does have are no fewer than
                three documentaries on the making of "Fellowship" which came out before the
                film did - I saw one of them in a bookstore at a promotional event - plus a
                number of mini-documentaries (5 minutes or so each) on various aspects of
                making the film, the actors, etc.

                Quite possibly a number of these will reappear on the 4-DVD set; that's not
                clear. What I have read in promotional material is that the theatrical cut
                _as such_ will not be available on the 4-DVD set, which will only have the
                longer cut, and won't support an "eliminate the additions" viewing option;
                that is, if you want to see it as it appeared in the theatre, you'll need
                to get the 2-DVD set.

                Jackson says, in the preview, that he dislikes the term "director's cut",
                and that the version in the theatres (and on the 2-DVD set) _is_ the cut he
                wanted in the theatres (undoubtably because of length concerns); but he
                likes special edition DVDs and sees no reason he shouldn't use this
                opportunity to put back in some stuff he cut. The scenes will include the
                Lorien parting gift-giving, the departure of the Fellowship from Rivendell,
                an early glimpse of the Elves (apparently inspired by the book's Gildor
                scene), and a longer (and clearer) initial conversation between Aragorn and
                Boromir.

                The preview for "The Two Towers" is interesting - Theoden is a more peppery
                and younger-looking king than I'd have expected - and there's considerable
                explanation of how Gollum is done and how the actor playing him fits into
                the computer-generation process. Like the first film, it will look really
                neat, but again I have concerns about the plot. Jackson says that the two
                towers are Orthanc and Barad-dur (Tolkien actually intended the title to be
                ambiguous - what about Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul?) and that Saruman and
                Sauron jointly intend to commit genocide [he uses that word] by eliminating
                the race of Men, a notion not supported by the book.

                At 09:26 AM 8/11/2002 , Catherine K. wrote:
                >On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 00:48:11 -0700, "William" <whitehart@...>
                >scribed:
                >
                >\\>Yes, there is a wide screen version. But wait! Word is soon there
                >will be
                >\\>another issue of the DVD with extra footage and special items. Be
                >patient. I
                >\\>rushed into buying the Harry Potter DVD and wound up with full
                >screen
                >\\>instead of wide. Wait.
                >\\>
                >\\>William
                >

                > From a commercial that I saw yesterday, it appears as if there is
                >already a 2 DVD set that has several hours of extra footage and
                >trailers from the Two Towers. I guess that it is finally time for me
                >to break down and buy a dvd player :)
                >
                >Now that I have broke lurking status, I do need to introduce myself. I
                >lurk most of the time, but have an abiding love of Tolkien, Lewis (and
                >the rest of the Inklings), as well as Dostoyevski. I am a city
                >portation planner , and am furiously working to get my thesis finished
                >in the next week or so--- so I will be heading back to lurking status
                >for some time longer. Just wanted to poke my head out from behind the
                >bushes and say hello to everyone, I really like this list.
                >

                >Catherine K.

              • ckostyn

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                    On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 08:26:36 -0800, ckostyn <ckostyn@...>
                    I do need to introduce myself. I
                    \\>lurk most of the time, but have an abiding love of Tolkien, Lewis
                    (and
                    \\>the rest of the Inklings), as well as Dostoyevski. (and lots of
                    others a city
                    \\>portation planner , <snip>

                    Typo alert- I meant transportation planner-- apparently it is too
                    early for me to type this morning :)

                    Catherine K.
                  • Joan Marie Verba
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                      SusanPal@... wrote:

                      > I made the same goof, much to my distress . . . but my husband pointed out
                      > that we can buy the extended-release version (due out Nov 12) in letterbox,
                      > so that made me feel better. :-)

                      I'll be sure to carefully read the packaging in the extended release
                      version and get the letterbox (I think they're calling it "wide screen
                      version")? I wish I'd been warned there would be 2 different versions in
                      August (or if I was, it certainly slipped my mind!).

                      Can someone refresh my memory as to the differences between the Aug. and
                      Nov. releases?

                      Thanks,
                      Joan
                      Joan Marie Verba
                      verba001@...
                    • Joan Marie Verba
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                        ckostyn wrote:

                        > On the website http://www.lordoftherings.net/ I found mention of both
                        > extended version (4-cd set) and collectors edition(5 cds- includes the
                        > National Geographic DVD "Beyond the Movie").

                        I'm going to have to take notes in preparation for November!

                        So, let's see, what I am going to look for then is:

                        The Collectors Edition in full screen format.

                        Yes?

                        > Yep, finally time for a DVD player--- the local Blockbusters are
                        > selling Magnavox DVD players for 98.00... guess that I won't find a
                        > better deal than that! :)

                        I've seen them as low as $69. I bought mine in May after receiving a
                        generous royalty check. (I replaced my aging VCR, too!) I paid a little
                        more than $100 for the DVD because I could afford it and the model I
                        checked out had some extras I wanted. WARNING: If your TV doesn't have a
                        special receptor, you're going to have to purchase a special DVD adapter
                        for coaxial cable compatibility. That's an extra $30 or so.

                        Note to William: Consumer Reports says that DVD/VCR combos don't work
                        that well. I bought one DVD and one VCR and the associate at Circuit
                        City told me how to put them together. System works beautifully.

                        Joan
                        Joan Marie Verba
                        verba001@...
                      • ckostyn
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                          On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 00:48:11 -0700, "William" <whitehart@...>
                          scribed:

                          \\>Yes, there is a wide screen version. But wait! Word is soon there
                          will be
                          \\>another issue of the DVD with extra footage and special items. Be
                          patient. I
                          \\>rushed into buying the Harry Potter DVD and wound up with full
                          screen
                          \\>instead of wide. Wait.
                          \\>
                          \\>William

                          On the website http://www.lordoftherings.net/ I found mention of both
                          extended version (4-cd set) and collectors edition(5 cds- includes the
                          National Geographic DVD "Beyond the Movie"). They don't have an index
                          of contents there as of yet, but it says that they will be posting it.
                          Both sets has more than 30 minutes of footage that wasn't released in
                          the theater version and it has a new musical score.

                          Elsewhere there IS a list of contents for the 2-dvd set, but no extra
                          footage from the movie itself- though there are a lot of other extas.
                          My mistake, either the commercial I saw was worded poorly, or I simply
                          heard what I wanted to hear.

                        • juliet@firinn.org
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                            On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 12:27:46PM -0500, Joan Marie Verba wrote:
                            > ckostyn wrote:
                            >
                            > > On the website http://www.lordoftherings.net/ I found mention of both
                            > > extended version (4-cd set) and collectors edition(5 cds- includes the
                            > > National Geographic DVD "Beyond the Movie").
                            >
                            > I'm going to have to take notes in preparation for November!
                            >
                            > So, let's see, what I am going to look for then is:
                            >
                            > The Collectors Edition in full screen format.
                            >
                            > Yes?

                            No...I think you said you wanted letterbox, right? "Full screen" is
                            the opposite of that. "Wide screen" is synonymous with letterbox.
                            "Full screen" means "sized to fit your TV screen", not "showing the
                            full screen used in the movie theater".
                          • William
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                              Keep looking. I found a DVD/VCR player at WalMart for about $120.00. I
                              needed a new VCR anyway.

                              William
                              > \\>Yes, there is a wide screen version. But wait! Word is soon there
                              > will be
                              > \\>another issue of the DVD with extra footage and special items. Be
                              > patient. I
                              > \\>rushed into buying the Harry Potter DVD and wound up with full
                              > screen
                              > \\>instead of wide. Wait.
                              > \\>
                              > \\>William
                              >

                              > On the website http://www.lordoftherings.net/ I found mention of both
                              > extended version (4-cd set) and collectors edition(5 cds- includes the
                              > National Geographic DVD "Beyond the Movie"). They don't have an index
                              > of contents there as of yet, but it says that they will be posting it.
                              > Both sets has more than 30 minutes of footage that wasn't released in
                              > the theater version and it has a new musical score.
                              >
                              > Elsewhere there IS a list of contents for the 2-dvd set, but no extra
                              > footage from the movie itself- though there are a lot of other extas.
                              > My mistake, either the commercial I saw was worded poorly, or I simply
                              > heard what I wanted to hear.
                              >
                              > Yep, finally time for a DVD player--- the local Blockbusters are
                              > selling Magnavox DVD players for 98.00... guess that I won't find a
                              > better deal than that! :)
                              >
                              > Catherine K.
                              >
                              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            • Joan Marie Verba
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                                juliet@... wrote:

                                > No...I think you said you wanted letterbox, right? "Full screen" is
                                > the opposite of that. "Wide screen" is synonymous with letterbox.
                                > "Full screen" means "sized to fit your TV screen", not "showing the
                                > full screen used in the movie theater".

                                Okay, got it on my calendar.

                                Thanks!
                                Joan
                                Joan Marie Verba
                                verba001@...
                              • ckostyn
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                                  On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 12:27:46 -0500, Joan Marie Verba
                                  <verba001@...> scribed:

                                  \\>I've seen them as low as $69. I bought mine in May after receiving
                                  \\>generous royalty check. (I replaced my aging VCR, too!)

                                  From what I have been told, not all of the very inexpensive DVD
                                  players will play all formats, apparently DVD formatting isn't
                                  uniform. I do not know if this is true or not, but so I have been told
                                  by several people who work in a vidio/audio store.

                                  I paid a little
                                  \\>more than $100 for the DVD because I could afford it and the model
                                  \\>I checked out had some extras I wanted. WARNING: If your TV doesn't
                                  \\>have a special receptor, you're going to have to purchase a special
                                  \\> DVD adapter for coaxial cable compatibility. That's an extra $30
                                  \\>or so.

                                  \\>Note to William: Consumer Reports says that DVD/VCR combos don't
                                  \\> work that well. I bought one DVD and one VCR and the associate at
                                  \\> Circuit City told me how to put them together. System works
                                  \\>beautifully.

                                  From what I have been told, it is simple to link the new DVD player
                                  and the older VCR together. I hope that my Sony Trinitron tv is new
                                  enough that I won't need the coaxial receptor, guess that I will find
                                  out at the end of the month!

                                  I have the video version of the movie, knowing me I will give the
                                  video away and get both the 2-dvd version now, and the collectors
                                  edition in November. (knowing me I will give the 2-dvd version away
                                  once I have the collectors edition) Is this a little overkill?

                                  Catherine K.
                                • William
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                                    You are right about not all DVD's playing all formats. Some will play CD's,
                                    MPG's, etc. The brochure should tell you what it plays. If not, find out
                                    from one of the sales people. Mine wasn't that big a deal, since I don't use
                                    that wide a variety of media, but some folks could wind up being
                                    unpleasantly surprised.

                                    William
                                    > On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 12:27:46 -0500, Joan Marie Verba
                                    > <verba001@...> scribed:
                                    >

                                    > \\>I've seen them as low as $69. I bought mine in May after receiving
                                    > \\>generous royalty check. (I replaced my aging VCR, too!)
                                    >
                                    > From what I have been told, not all of the very inexpensive DVD
                                    > players will play all formats, apparently DVD formatting isn't
                                    > uniform. I do not know if this is true or not, but so I have been told
                                    > by several people who work in a vidio/audio store.
                                    >
                                    > I paid a little
                                    > \\>more than $100 for the DVD because I could afford it and the model
                                    > \\>I checked out had some extras I wanted. WARNING: If your TV doesn't
                                    > \\>have a special receptor, you're going to have to purchase a special
                                    > \\> DVD adapter for coaxial cable compatibility. That's an extra $30
                                    > \\>or so.
                                    >
                                    > \\>Note to William: Consumer Reports says that DVD/VCR combos don't
                                    > \\> work that well. I bought one DVD and one VCR and the associate at
                                    > \\> Circuit City told me how to put them together. System works
                                    > \\>beautifully.
                                    >

                                    > From what I have been told, it is simple to link the new DVD player
                                    > and the older VCR together. I hope that my Sony Trinitron tv is new
                                    > enough that I won't need the coaxial receptor, guess that I will find
                                    > out at the end of the month!
                                    >
                                    > I have the video version of the movie, knowing me I will give the
                                    > video away and get both the 2-dvd version now, and the collectors
                                    > edition in November. (knowing me I will give the 2-dvd version away
                                    > once I have the collectors edition) Is this a little overkill?
                                    >

                                    > Catherine K.
                                    >
                                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  • ckostyn
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
                                      On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 14:13:17 -0700, "William" <whitehart@...>
                                      scribed:

                                      \\>You are right about not all DVD's playing all formats. Some will
                                      play CD's,
                                      \\>MPG's, etc. The brochure should tell you what it plays. If not,
                                      find out
                                      \\>from one of the sales people. Mine wasn't that big a deal, since I
                                      don't use
                                      \\>that wide a variety of media, but some folks could wind up being
                                      \\>unpleasantly surprised.
                                      \\>
                                      \\>William

                                      Actually they led me to belive that DVD movies themselves come in
                                      different formats- I wasn't referring to CDs, MPGs, etc. As I said, I
                                      am not sure about this. Does anyone know if there is any validity to
                                      this?

                                      It seems odd that this would be an issue for DVDs manufactured for a
                                      North American market. If they were manufactured for Europe where they
                                      have different standards, then I would understand the difference.

                                      As far as other kinds of media, while it would be nice if it played
                                      cds and mpgs, I am not all that concerned about it. I am just happy
                                      that I can get a name brand player for such a resonable price.

                                      Catherine K.