Re: Middle-earth map

  • michael_martinez2
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2002
      --- In mythsoc@y..., "adamseb" <adamseb@y...> wrote:
      > Hello everyone. I have a question regarding the map of Middle-
      > earth that's published with all of the editions of the Lord of the
      > Rings (or at least, every edition I've ever seen). In 1980,
      > Chistopher Tolkien published the Unfinished Tales. In that book, he
      > included a new map of Middle-earth that was both more complete
      > correct than the original map. Given that Christopher Tolkien is
      his
      > father's literary executor, and that his claim that the new map is
      > better than the old one is to my knowledge unchallenged, why is the
      > Lord of the Rings still published with the old map?

      Well, I am sure I have at least one edition with the new map, but
      I've been without DSL access at home all week and by the time I think
      to check, I'll probably have forgotten about your question. :o

      Still, if I can remember to look it up and check in here tomorrow or
      Friday from work, I'll see if I can confirm my memory.
    • Boldingbroke@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 19, 2004
        Hi all,

        I was at MythCon 35 and purchased a map of Middle-Earth in Elvish at
        the auction. The map has a greenish cast to it. It's rather large,
        but frameable. I'm not quite sure what I've got, but want to look up
        some history or background on the map. If you were the person who
        donated the map, or if you were there and recognized it and know
        details, please give me some pointers so I can do a little research.

        TIA,
        Sharon Bolding
      • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 19, 2004
          Hmm, sounds like my donation. I don't actually remember much about its
          origins, but I think they were rather uncommon and it was acquired quite
          awhile ago. They do fade easily, so don't put in anywhere sunny. If you
          frame it you might want to use UV-protective glass. I'll see if my partner
          remembers more than I do. Meanwhile, some of you avid collectors out there
          probably know more than I.

          Edith L. Crowe
          Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
          http://www.mythsoc.org

          Boldingbroke@...
          10/19/2004 02:44 PM
          Please respond to mythsoc

          To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
          cc:
          Subject: [mythsoc] Middle-earth map

          Hi all,

          I was at MythCon 35 and purchased a map of Middle-Earth in Elvish at
          the auction. The map has a greenish cast to it...[snip]
          TIA,
          Sharon Bolding

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Yahoo! Groups Links