Re: More LotR casting

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 1999
      > Liv Tyler is Arwen

      Maybe this is a typo for LIZ TAYLOR. ?

      Mary S
    • Steve Schaper
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 1999
        At 8:56 PM -0400 8/28/99, Stolzi@... wrote:
        >From: Stolzi@...
        >
        >In a message dated 08/28/1999 11:59:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
        >verba001@... writes:
        >
        >> I have
        >> no idea what "Queen of the Fairies" refers to. Galadriel? Arwen?
        >
        >Perhaps they've invented a whole new character :)
        >
        >Enchanted by computer miniaturization, they have created a whole race of
        >tiny, elfin creatures who dance about the Forest and sit on buttercups and
        >have gauzy wings :)

        Shrinking them down seems problematic to me. There are certain laws
        of physics that will be violated enough
        for us to feel that it just doesn't seem right. Speed of movement,
        gravity, etc will be off, and our brains will notice.

        I hope they don't have noticable edges.
        ======================================
        It's 1999, where's Moonbase Alpha?
        ======================================
      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 29, 1999
          In a message dated 08/29/1999 12:02:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
          sschaper@... writes:

          > Shrinking them down seems problematic to me. There are certain laws
          > of physics that will be violated enough
          > for us to feel that it just doesn't seem right. Speed of movement,
          > gravity, etc will be off, and our brains will notice.

          Well, Steve, as you probably know, the "tiny fairies" are a joke of mine
          (since Tolkien so abominated them); but the Hobbits =are= going to be shrunk
          down from normal size actors. I think their heads will look noticeably tiny;
          human children in reality, and Hobbits as drawn by most artists, have larger
          heads in proportion than human adults. And maybe their arms and legs will
          seem a bit spidery...?

          It will be interesting to see what size is chosen. My friend and fellow
          Tolkien freak here, and I, did a little thinking and experimenting. Three
          feet is very, very, small. Four feet is more manageable for interaction -
          but JRRT has only exceptional Hobbits attaining that height. Yet he has even
          ordinary-size Hobbits walking twenty miles in a day, and leaping a =seven
          foot wide chasm= in Moria. (OK, pretty desperate Hobbits, but still...)

          Grace and I thought that four feet was more reasonable, but after all,
          "three-quarters-lings" or "two-thirds-lings" wouldn't have sounded half so
          well, would it?

          Mary S