Middle-earth map

  • adamseb
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4 3:04 PM
      Hello everyone. I have a question regarding the map of Middle-
      earth that's published with all of the editions of the Lord of the
      Rings (or at least, every edition I've ever seen). In 1980,
      Chistopher Tolkien published the Unfinished Tales. In that book, he
      included a new map of Middle-earth that was both more complete
      correct than the original map. Given that Christopher Tolkien is his
      father's literary executor, and that his claim that the new map is
      better than the old one is to my knowledge unchallenged, why is the
      Lord of the Rings still published with the old map?
      This is of course unimportant to casual readers, but it does
      leave out some of the richness of Tolkien's world for those who don't
      read the Unfinished Tales, which I'm sure is the majority of those
      who read LotR. Additionally, someone who acquires Karen Wynn
      Forsythe's Atlas of Middle-Earth without having read UT could get
      confused because Fonstead's maps of LotR don't correspond to the map
      in the published book.

      Thank you.

      Blake Adams
    • michael_martinez2
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7 3:02 PM
        --- In mythsoc@y..., "adamseb" <adamseb@y...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone. I have a question regarding the map of Middle-
        > earth that's published with all of the editions of the Lord of the
        > Rings (or at least, every edition I've ever seen). In 1980,
        > Chistopher Tolkien published the Unfinished Tales. In that book, he
        > included a new map of Middle-earth that was both more complete
        > correct than the original map. Given that Christopher Tolkien is
        his
        > father's literary executor, and that his claim that the new map is
        > better than the old one is to my knowledge unchallenged, why is the
        > Lord of the Rings still published with the old map?

        Well, I am sure I have at least one edition with the new map, but
        I've been without DSL access at home all week and by the time I think
        to check, I'll probably have forgotten about your question. :o

        Still, if I can remember to look it up and check in here tomorrow or
        Friday from work, I'll see if I can confirm my memory.
      • Boldingbroke@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 19, 2004
          Hi all,

          I was at MythCon 35 and purchased a map of Middle-Earth in Elvish at
          the auction. The map has a greenish cast to it. It's rather large,
          but frameable. I'm not quite sure what I've got, but want to look up
          some history or background on the map. If you were the person who
          donated the map, or if you were there and recognized it and know
          details, please give me some pointers so I can do a little research.

          TIA,
          Sharon Bolding
        • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 19, 2004
            Hmm, sounds like my donation. I don't actually remember much about its
            origins, but I think they were rather uncommon and it was acquired quite
            awhile ago. They do fade easily, so don't put in anywhere sunny. If you
            frame it you might want to use UV-protective glass. I'll see if my partner
            remembers more than I do. Meanwhile, some of you avid collectors out there
            probably know more than I.

            Edith L. Crowe
            Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
            http://www.mythsoc.org

            Boldingbroke@...
            10/19/2004 02:44 PM
            Please respond to mythsoc

            To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
            cc:
            Subject: [mythsoc] Middle-earth map

            Hi all,

            I was at MythCon 35 and purchased a map of Middle-Earth in Elvish at
            the auction. The map has a greenish cast to it...[snip]
            TIA,
            Sharon Bolding

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Yahoo! Groups Links