Re: [mythsoc] Fwd: MythSoc web site

  • intyalin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2002
      In a message dated 8/3/2002 9:46:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
      writes:

      > There's an book by Frank Baum with an underwater trip, I remember from a
      > book
      > I recently read about LFB, but I can't remember the details and
      > unfortunately

      I believe you are referring to one of my favorite books of all time.
      It's called The Sea Fairies. A little girl named Trot (a nickname,
      her real name is Mayre) & Cap'n Bill (a family friend) encounter
      beautiful, gracious mermaids who turn them into mer-folk & take
      them to the palace of Queen Aquareine beneath the Pacific, but
      they are captured by Zog the Magician until King Anko the Sea
      Serpent comes to their rescue. King Anko is so long that he
      leaves most of his body at home, coiled in his parlor.

      I believe Baum wrote other stories about Trot, but I don't know
      what they are. If anyone knows, I would be grateful to find out.
      I am not a big Baum fan, but The Sea Fairies lives in my heart.
      The illustrations by John R. Neill are particularly delightful.

      Kevin

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2002
        In a message dated 8/3/2002 9:35:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
        intyalin@... writes:

        > I believe you are referring to one of my favorite books of all time.
        > It's called The Sea Fairies.

        I misspoke. The book I'm talking abt resembles the one the inquirer wants to
        know abt in that it's an underGROUND journey but ON the water.

        I'm sure I remember that much, but I don't recall anything about a Queen
        Mazda. I only saw the summary in a book on Baum's life and work which I read
        sometime during the past year.

        Trot and Cap'n Bill went to Oz at least once, I believe; from your later
        message looks like you found that book.

        Diamond Proudbrook