Re: More LotR casting

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 1999
      In a message dated 08/28/1999 11:59:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
      verba001@... writes:

      > I have
      > no idea what "Queen of the Fairies" refers to. Galadriel? Arwen?

      Perhaps they've invented a whole new character :)

      Enchanted by computer miniaturization, they have created a whole race of
      tiny, elfin creatures who dance about the Forest and sit on buttercups and
      have gauzy wings :)

      Actually, check with good ol' http://www.ringbearer.org Where it says:

      News for Thursday August 26, 1999 12:39:44 CST by Joram
      Liv Tyler is Arwen! - Exclusive
      Ringbearer.org regular "Meena" emailed New Line Cinema Prez Michael DeLuca
      about Liv Tyler:

      "I e-mailed DeLuca about this, and he says she's been cast as Arwen. She will
      also most likely have brittish accent."

      Other scuttlebutt here, not so definite, is that Steve Buscemi is the model
      for the artificially-created Gollum. Having seen a truly marvelous live
      Gollum at the Nashville Children's Theatre, I ask myself... why computerize
      Gollum?

      Mary S
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 1999
        > Liv Tyler is Arwen

        Maybe this is a typo for LIZ TAYLOR. ?

        Mary S
      • Steve Schaper
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 1999
          At 8:56 PM -0400 8/28/99, Stolzi@... wrote:
          >From: Stolzi@...
          >
          >In a message dated 08/28/1999 11:59:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
          >verba001@... writes:
          >
          >> I have
          >> no idea what "Queen of the Fairies" refers to. Galadriel? Arwen?
          >
          >Perhaps they've invented a whole new character :)
          >
          >Enchanted by computer miniaturization, they have created a whole race of
          >tiny, elfin creatures who dance about the Forest and sit on buttercups and
          >have gauzy wings :)

          Shrinking them down seems problematic to me. There are certain laws
          of physics that will be violated enough
          for us to feel that it just doesn't seem right. Speed of movement,
          gravity, etc will be off, and our brains will notice.

          I hope they don't have noticable edges.
          ======================================
          It's 1999, where's Moonbase Alpha?
          ======================================
        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 29, 1999
            In a message dated 08/29/1999 12:02:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
            sschaper@... writes:

            > Shrinking them down seems problematic to me. There are certain laws
            > of physics that will be violated enough
            > for us to feel that it just doesn't seem right. Speed of movement,
            > gravity, etc will be off, and our brains will notice.

            Well, Steve, as you probably know, the "tiny fairies" are a joke of mine
            (since Tolkien so abominated them); but the Hobbits =are= going to be shrunk
            down from normal size actors. I think their heads will look noticeably tiny;
            human children in reality, and Hobbits as drawn by most artists, have larger
            heads in proportion than human adults. And maybe their arms and legs will
            seem a bit spidery...?

            It will be interesting to see what size is chosen. My friend and fellow
            Tolkien freak here, and I, did a little thinking and experimenting. Three
            feet is very, very, small. Four feet is more manageable for interaction -
            but JRRT has only exceptional Hobbits attaining that height. Yet he has even
            ordinary-size Hobbits walking twenty miles in a day, and leaping a =seven
            foot wide chasm= in Moria. (OK, pretty desperate Hobbits, but still...)

            Grace and I thought that four feet was more reasonable, but after all,
            "three-quarters-lings" or "two-thirds-lings" wouldn't have sounded half so
            well, would it?

            Mary S