Fwd: MythSoc web site

  • Eleanor Farrell
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2002
      Can anyone on the list help with this inquiry?

      Thanks!

      Ellie

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2002
        In a message dated 8/3/2002 2:36:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
        emfarrell@... writes:

        > >I have been looking for years for a book I read as a child. Of course I
        > >can't remember author or title, but I remember it had a green cover, by
        > >golly!. (I'm a librarian and I hate it when I get questions like this).
        > >The plot goes something like this: a young girl is babysitting her
        > >annoying younger brother, they fall asleep in a canoe, which drifts into
        > >a cavern. As the boat drifts along they encounter various worlds: one
        > >has characters from mythology, one is an electric-powered kingdom ruled
        > >by a Queen Mazda, I think.

        There's an book by Frank Baum with an underwater trip, I remember from a book
        I recently read about LFB, but I can't remember the details and unfortunately
        Lee Speth, resident Ozzologist, is on vacation.

        The description of a Queen Mazda sounds very Baum-ish.

        Diamond Proudbrook

      • intyalin@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2002
          In a message dated 8/3/2002 9:46:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
          writes:

          > There's an book by Frank Baum with an underwater trip, I remember from a
          > book
          > I recently read about LFB, but I can't remember the details and
          > unfortunately

          I believe you are referring to one of my favorite books of all time.
          It's called The Sea Fairies. A little girl named Trot (a nickname,
          her real name is Mayre) & Cap'n Bill (a family friend) encounter
          beautiful, gracious mermaids who turn them into mer-folk & take
          them to the palace of Queen Aquareine beneath the Pacific, but
          they are captured by Zog the Magician until King Anko the Sea
          Serpent comes to their rescue. King Anko is so long that he
          leaves most of his body at home, coiled in his parlor.

          I believe Baum wrote other stories about Trot, but I don't know
          what they are. If anyone knows, I would be grateful to find out.
          I am not a big Baum fan, but The Sea Fairies lives in my heart.
          The illustrations by John R. Neill are particularly delightful.

          Kevin

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2002
            In a message dated 8/3/2002 9:35:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
            intyalin@... writes:

            > I believe you are referring to one of my favorite books of all time.
            > It's called The Sea Fairies.

            I misspoke. The book I'm talking abt resembles the one the inquirer wants to
            know abt in that it's an underGROUND journey but ON the water.

            I'm sure I remember that much, but I don't recall anything about a Queen
            Mazda. I only saw the summary in a book on Baum's life and work which I read
            sometime during the past year.

            Trot and Cap'n Bill went to Oz at least once, I believe; from your later
            message looks like you found that book.

            Diamond Proudbrook