Re: More LotR casting

  • mary dickerson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 1999
      Could this refer to LIV Tyler, the daughter of Stephen Tyler who was in
      _Armageddon_? I had thought about her before in the role of Arwen (the dark
      hair, you know) but I really don't think of her as an Elf.

    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 1999
        In a message dated 08/28/1999 11:59:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
        verba001@... writes:

        > I have
        > no idea what "Queen of the Fairies" refers to. Galadriel? Arwen?

        Perhaps they've invented a whole new character :)

        Enchanted by computer miniaturization, they have created a whole race of
        tiny, elfin creatures who dance about the Forest and sit on buttercups and
        have gauzy wings :)

        Actually, check with good ol' http://www.ringbearer.org Where it says:

        News for Thursday August 26, 1999 12:39:44 CST by Joram
        Liv Tyler is Arwen! - Exclusive
        Ringbearer.org regular "Meena" emailed New Line Cinema Prez Michael DeLuca
        about Liv Tyler:

        "I e-mailed DeLuca about this, and he says she's been cast as Arwen. She will
        also most likely have brittish accent."

        Other scuttlebutt here, not so definite, is that Steve Buscemi is the model
        for the artificially-created Gollum. Having seen a truly marvelous live
        Gollum at the Nashville Children's Theatre, I ask myself... why computerize
        Gollum?

        Mary S
      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 1999
          > Liv Tyler is Arwen

          Maybe this is a typo for LIZ TAYLOR. ?

          Mary S
        • Steve Schaper
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 1999
            At 8:56 PM -0400 8/28/99, Stolzi@... wrote:
            >From: Stolzi@...
            >
            >In a message dated 08/28/1999 11:59:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
            >verba001@... writes:
            >
            >> I have
            >> no idea what "Queen of the Fairies" refers to. Galadriel? Arwen?
            >
            >Perhaps they've invented a whole new character :)
            >
            >Enchanted by computer miniaturization, they have created a whole race of
            >tiny, elfin creatures who dance about the Forest and sit on buttercups and
            >have gauzy wings :)

            Shrinking them down seems problematic to me. There are certain laws
            of physics that will be violated enough
            for us to feel that it just doesn't seem right. Speed of movement,
            gravity, etc will be off, and our brains will notice.

            I hope they don't have noticable edges.
            ======================================
            It's 1999, where's Moonbase Alpha?
            ======================================
          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 29, 1999
              In a message dated 08/29/1999 12:02:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
              sschaper@... writes:

              > Shrinking them down seems problematic to me. There are certain laws
              > of physics that will be violated enough
              > for us to feel that it just doesn't seem right. Speed of movement,
              > gravity, etc will be off, and our brains will notice.

              Well, Steve, as you probably know, the "tiny fairies" are a joke of mine
              (since Tolkien so abominated them); but the Hobbits =are= going to be shrunk
              down from normal size actors. I think their heads will look noticeably tiny;
              human children in reality, and Hobbits as drawn by most artists, have larger
              heads in proportion than human adults. And maybe their arms and legs will
              seem a bit spidery...?

              It will be interesting to see what size is chosen. My friend and fellow
              Tolkien freak here, and I, did a little thinking and experimenting. Three
              feet is very, very, small. Four feet is more manageable for interaction -
              but JRRT has only exceptional Hobbits attaining that height. Yet he has even
              ordinary-size Hobbits walking twenty miles in a day, and leaping a =seven
              foot wide chasm= in Moria. (OK, pretty desperate Hobbits, but still...)

              Grace and I thought that four feet was more reasonable, but after all,
              "three-quarters-lings" or "two-thirds-lings" wouldn't have sounded half so
              well, would it?

              Mary S