Re: varied dialogues in Middle Earth/use of aphorisms in daily speech

  • David J Finnamore
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 21 5:46 AM
      odzer@... wrote:

      > I dunno, I understand the point you make, and surely such dialogue is,
      > from a modern colloquial stance, a bit stiff and good fun to parody. But
      > these ain't modern folks! I really enjoy the distinctive flavor of the
      > aphoristic passages throughout, and it seems to me to be especially
      > consistent with with the cultural styles of dwarves and ancient elves that
      > they tend towards such mannerisms of speech.

      I fully share that POV, John. Tolkien's use of language, whether it be dialogue
      or narrative, is one of my favorite things about his books, and one of my least
      favorite things about the movie. In fact, I hadn't thought about it quite this
      way before, but the dumbing down of the language for the movie is probably a
      chief reason why it doesn't *feel* like Middle-earth to me, even though it
      *looks* quite convincingly like it, most places. I had no need for Patsy to tell
      me it was "only a model."

      > Among the numerous ideas or themes which Tolkien was interested in but
      > which he modified under pressure or persuasion from friends or publisher was
      > his 'Hobbit talk'. Lewis in particular disliked it and urged him to keep to
      > a minimum. This is discussed in one of the letters. I really enjoy the few
      > surviving passages of banter between the hobbits

      Would an example be the scene in the Green Dragon Inn early in LotR, with the
      discussion of the danger of boats, and the Gaffer defending Bilbo's reputation?
      That's a favorite passage of mine. I wish there were a great deal more of it.
      Oddly, though, it's hard for me NOT to hear it in rural Southern American
      accents. Having grown up in the rural South, I've heard a lot of like banter.
      You can never hear too much of that, IMO.

      > I can only hope more instances of verbatim quotes from the text have made it
      > into subsequent installments of the films.

      Never hurts to dream, I guess.

      > with klunky verbiage of my own

      Not all that klunks is broken.

      --