Re: [mythsoc] varied dialogues in Middle Earth/use of aphorisms in daily speech

  • trudygshaw
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2002
      From: odzer@...
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 3:25 PM
      Subject: [mythsoc] varied dialogues in Middle Earth/use of aphorisms in daily speech

      > Tolkien explicitly refers to the formal and idiomatic stylistic of dwarvish speech as something that they delight in, but which gets on Bilbos nerves sometimes when they go on and on with it endlessly.
      The trading of aphorisms between Gimli and Elrond that's been referred to I've always seen (and enjoyed) as Elrond matching Gimli at his own game--and perhaps pointing out that game's limitations when it comes to making reasoned decisions, since almost every aphorism can be contradicted by another (e.g., "Act in haste; repent at leisure," vs. "He who hesitates is lost.").

      > Yet Hobbits in certain moods like formalized speech too, such as when
      Faramir and Frodo discuss their formal agreements.
      Although not as fluently as Gandalf, Frodo can also use various forms of speech depending on the circumstances and with whom he's speaking. He seems more able to do this than the other hobbits, but he's had more opportunity to develop the skill.

      > The English, in contrast to Americans, have many regional and class based
      styles of speech for a writer to choose from (though we have our regional
      flavors too) One can, or at least could in Tolkien's generation, discern what
      school or university someone came from by the manner in which they speak, not
      to mention social class or region. Tolkien discusses in one appendix how
      difficult it was to convey in the written word the sort of varied flavors
      that he imagined, which would be clearly evident in the spoken tongue.

      A European who posts on the same message board I do has dubbed the first movie-orc to speak at Isengard "Saruman's Eton-trained assistant." I don't know if that's precise (i.e., if it's specifically "Eton" speech), but certainly none of Tolkien's orcs spoke that way!

      This is definitely more difficult to express in writing, which is why most beginning fiction writers are warned away from it. Mark Twain was one of the best, and even in Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn I've sometimes had to read a line aloud to figure out what's being said. Twain is also able to capture the variations among people who live within the same basic geographic area, which my Northern "ears" often miss unless they're pointed out to me.

      > I really enjoy the few surviving passages of banter between the hobbits, though this is probably the sort of dialogue that irritates some readers today just as it did Lewis.

      Maybe some readers, but I don't think the majority (at least I hope not), as they speak more like us than any of the other groups. IIRC, one reason the people of Minas Tirith assume Pippin must be of high rank is that he uses familiar speech when talking to Gandalf, which is all we modern American English speakers would use under any circumstances--just like hobbits.

      I enjoy the hobbit banter, too, especially as they seem to be masters of the quick-witted comeback. I have a list of comeback lines that currently numbers 11: 9 of them are replies by hobbits (most, but not all, from the more-educated type). Anyone who wants can see the list at http://www.tripod.members.com/afewwords_tgs/id64.htm -- I've hesitated to even mention my website on this list, as all the Tolkien material (as well as everything else on it, I'm sure) is well below the erudition level of anyone here--but on this particular page I let the hobbits do the talking. 8-)

      > It has been noted that popular television inflicts pithy hip phrases
      into our everyday speech with numbing regularity. One of the low points for
      me of the film FOTR was Aragon exclaiming ''Let's kick ass''.. .er, I mean
      "Let's hunt orc!"

      Well, it's "Let's hunt some orc," which is, indeed, a bit off from Aragorn's original line of "I am hunting orcs," when the Rohirrim ask what he's doing on their land.
      But there are times. I remember in Bakshi's movie it grated on my ears when Gandalf yelled, "Run for it!"--until I noticed that that's exactly what he says at that spot in the book.

      One of the interesting things in the current movie (and there's some of it in the preview for TTT--I haven't seen the trailer) is the use of direct-from-Tolkien dialogue at a different place in the story than the book uses it. The most noticeable is the transfer of much of the conversation between Gandalf and Frodo from "The Shadow of the Past" to their movie conversation in Moria; the tone and shades of meaning--even of precisely identical lines--are also altered because of the circumstances and because the relationship between Frodo and Gandalf is so different from what exists in the book.
      But--because I kind of like them--I was glad to find a precedent for movie-Sam's "I don't mean to" lines. He's talking about Gildor & company, though, rather than Gandalf: '*Don't you leave him!* they said to me. *Leave him!* I said. *I never mean to.*' And Sam isn't one to change his meaning based on the circumstances. 8-)

      BTW, I've basically used John's message as a catch-all, so this got kind of long for a single post. I've been reading what others have said during the week, but didn't have time to post until the weekend; life will be like that for awhile, I'm afraid.

      -- Trudy
      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • jamcconney@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20, 2002
        In a message dated 7/20/2002 9:27:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
        tgshaw@... writes:

        > This is definitely more difficult to express in writing, which is why most
        > beginning fiction writers are warned away from it. Mark Twain was one of
        > the best, and even in Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn I've sometimes had to
        > read a line aloud to figure out what's being said. Twain is also able to
        > capture the variations among people who live within the same basic
        > geographic area, which my Northern "ears" often miss unless

        Frankly I think almost all fiction writers, amateur or not, are well warned
        away. I am speaking of the attempts, very common in the late 19th-early 20th
        century to provide phonetic spellings of accents and dialect. Not only Twain
        fell into this trap; so did some other very fine writers, notably Kipling and
        Crane (Some of _Soldiers Three_ and _Maggie Girl of the Streets_ are
        virtually unreadable except by masochistic English majors.)

        Fortunately writers (for the most part) have now learned that it's possible
        to convey dialect by means of rhythms, word usage and sentence structuring
        and are ( except for the easily readable 'gonna' et el) sparing us the
        tortured misspellings of the past.

        Jamaq

      • David J Finnamore
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 21, 2002
          odzer@... wrote:

          > I dunno, I understand the point you make, and surely such dialogue is,
          > from a modern colloquial stance, a bit stiff and good fun to parody. But
          > these ain't modern folks! I really enjoy the distinctive flavor of the
          > aphoristic passages throughout, and it seems to me to be especially
          > consistent with with the cultural styles of dwarves and ancient elves that
          > they tend towards such mannerisms of speech.

          I fully share that POV, John. Tolkien's use of language, whether it be dialogue
          or narrative, is one of my favorite things about his books, and one of my least
          favorite things about the movie. In fact, I hadn't thought about it quite this
          way before, but the dumbing down of the language for the movie is probably a
          chief reason why it doesn't *feel* like Middle-earth to me, even though it
          *looks* quite convincingly like it, most places. I had no need for Patsy to tell
          me it was "only a model."

          > Among the numerous ideas or themes which Tolkien was interested in but
          > which he modified under pressure or persuasion from friends or publisher was
          > his 'Hobbit talk'. Lewis in particular disliked it and urged him to keep to
          > a minimum. This is discussed in one of the letters. I really enjoy the few
          > surviving passages of banter between the hobbits

          Would an example be the scene in the Green Dragon Inn early in LotR, with the
          discussion of the danger of boats, and the Gaffer defending Bilbo's reputation?
          That's a favorite passage of mine. I wish there were a great deal more of it.
          Oddly, though, it's hard for me NOT to hear it in rural Southern American
          accents. Having grown up in the rural South, I've heard a lot of like banter.
          You can never hear too much of that, IMO.

          > I can only hope more instances of verbatim quotes from the text have made it
          > into subsequent installments of the films.

          Never hurts to dream, I guess.

          > with klunky verbiage of my own

          Not all that klunks is broken.

          --