Re: More LotR casting

  • THEODORE SHERMAN
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 1999
      According to TheOneRing.Net news, Liv Tyler (who played Grace in Armageddon)
      will portray Arwen in TLOR films.

      Ted

      Joan Marie Verba wrote:

      > From: "Joan Marie Verba" <verba001@...>
      >
      > Yesterday, on CNN's Showbiz Today, there was a brief statement on the
      > screen which read as follows: "Liz Tyler will play the Queen of the Fairies
      > in the Lord of the Rings trilogy." No further information was given. I have
      > no idea what "Queen of the Fairies" refers to. Galadriel? Arwen?
      >
      > No doubt we will discover more details later.
      >
      > Joan

      > Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      > Club Coordinator, Official Siddig El Fadil/Alexander Siddig Fan Club
      > Secretary for the Mythopoeic Press, Mythopoeic Society
      > List administrator for DocEx, MythSoc, MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
      > Member of GASP, Keeper of Giles's Writing Desk
      > http://www.sff.net/people/Joan.Marie.Verba

      > Congratulations to Susan Davis!
      > ONElist�s final FRIENDS&FAMILY WINNER!
      > Stay tuned for exciting new contests, sweepstakes & more at ONElist!

      Prof. Theodore James Sherman
      6545 Dynasty Drive
      Murfreesboro, TN 37128
    • mary dickerson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 1999
        Could this refer to LIV Tyler, the daughter of Stephen Tyler who was in
        _Armageddon_? I had thought about her before in the role of Arwen (the dark
        hair, you know) but I really don't think of her as an Elf.

      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 1999
          In a message dated 08/28/1999 11:59:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
          verba001@... writes:

          > I have
          > no idea what "Queen of the Fairies" refers to. Galadriel? Arwen?

          Perhaps they've invented a whole new character :)

          Enchanted by computer miniaturization, they have created a whole race of
          tiny, elfin creatures who dance about the Forest and sit on buttercups and
          have gauzy wings :)

          Actually, check with good ol' http://www.ringbearer.org Where it says:

          News for Thursday August 26, 1999 12:39:44 CST by Joram
          Liv Tyler is Arwen! - Exclusive
          Ringbearer.org regular "Meena" emailed New Line Cinema Prez Michael DeLuca
          about Liv Tyler:

          "I e-mailed DeLuca about this, and he says she's been cast as Arwen. She will
          also most likely have brittish accent."

          Other scuttlebutt here, not so definite, is that Steve Buscemi is the model
          for the artificially-created Gollum. Having seen a truly marvelous live
          Gollum at the Nashville Children's Theatre, I ask myself... why computerize
          Gollum?

          Mary S
        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 1999
            > Liv Tyler is Arwen

            Maybe this is a typo for LIZ TAYLOR. ?

            Mary S
          • Steve Schaper
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 28, 1999
              At 8:56 PM -0400 8/28/99, Stolzi@... wrote:
              >From: Stolzi@...
              >
              >In a message dated 08/28/1999 11:59:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
              >verba001@... writes:
              >
              >> I have
              >> no idea what "Queen of the Fairies" refers to. Galadriel? Arwen?
              >
              >Perhaps they've invented a whole new character :)
              >
              >Enchanted by computer miniaturization, they have created a whole race of
              >tiny, elfin creatures who dance about the Forest and sit on buttercups and
              >have gauzy wings :)

              Shrinking them down seems problematic to me. There are certain laws
              of physics that will be violated enough
              for us to feel that it just doesn't seem right. Speed of movement,
              gravity, etc will be off, and our brains will notice.

              I hope they don't have noticable edges.
              ======================================
              It's 1999, where's Moonbase Alpha?
              ======================================
            • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 29, 1999
                In a message dated 08/29/1999 12:02:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
                sschaper@... writes:

                > Shrinking them down seems problematic to me. There are certain laws
                > of physics that will be violated enough
                > for us to feel that it just doesn't seem right. Speed of movement,
                > gravity, etc will be off, and our brains will notice.

                Well, Steve, as you probably know, the "tiny fairies" are a joke of mine
                (since Tolkien so abominated them); but the Hobbits =are= going to be shrunk
                down from normal size actors. I think their heads will look noticeably tiny;
                human children in reality, and Hobbits as drawn by most artists, have larger
                heads in proportion than human adults. And maybe their arms and legs will
                seem a bit spidery...?

                It will be interesting to see what size is chosen. My friend and fellow
                Tolkien freak here, and I, did a little thinking and experimenting. Three
                feet is very, very, small. Four feet is more manageable for interaction -
                but JRRT has only exceptional Hobbits attaining that height. Yet he has even
                ordinary-size Hobbits walking twenty miles in a day, and leaping a =seven
                foot wide chasm= in Moria. (OK, pretty desperate Hobbits, but still...)

                Grace and I thought that four feet was more reasonable, but after all,
                "three-quarters-lings" or "two-thirds-lings" wouldn't have sounded half so
                well, would it?

                Mary S