Re: Terry Pratchet

  • michael_martinez2
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 18, 2002
      --- In mythsoc@y..., "michael_martinez2" <michael@x> wrote:

      > He was, after all, inventing idiom for languages which didn't
      > exist, and expressing that idiom through modern English. Let Terry
      > Pratchet and Michael Moorcock choke all they wish, neither of them
      > is capable of duplicating Tolkien's eloquent dialogue, no matter
      > how clunky it may seem to Tolkien's most ardent admirables.

      And I say that as one admirable to another.

      Move the flyt into the folde, now, if you please. Loki is waiting
      for his turn at the wheel.
    • michael_martinez2
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 28, 2002
        Well, I don't really owe him this courtesy, but it appears that Terry
        Pratchett was taken to task over this article by members of the
        Tolkien flame groups...er, news groups, over the past few weeks. He
        has stated he was misquoted or something.

        I mention that for the sake of completeness, although I did not
        bother to ask him about an article he wrote last year.

        I would not recommend searching for the thread as there were well
        over 400 messages when I last scanned it. I have no idea of how many
        flames there were. I draw enough of those in my own right I have no
        need to go looking for more <g>.

        'Nuff said.