More higglers

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2002
      More on Prairie Higglers. A Google search reveals that they also have a
      tape available, though it's not entirely clear wherefrom--oh, it must be the
      Canadian Society for Traditional Music. The web-page turns out to be at
      http://members.tripod.com/~sherretg/
      :

      THE PRAIRIE HIGGLERS "OVER TWENTY YEARS"
      An album which will be of particular interest to CSTM members is THE PRAIRIE
      HIGGLERS OVER TWENTY YEARS: THE HUGH E. HENDRY MEMORIAL RECORDING, published
      by the Development and Alumni Affairs Office of the University of
      Saskatchewan.
      Hugh Hendry was a director of the Society until his death in 1994. He was
      also the leader of The Prairie Higglers, a non-professional band which
      played traditional music in Saskatoon for twenty years. This album is a
      compilation of material recorded between 1975 and 1993, so the sound is
      variable, though never unacceptable. It is a treasury of Scottish, English,
      Irish and American songs. Since Hugh was originally from Scotland, the Scots
      songs have an authentic accent. The other continuous member of The Prairie
      Higglers was Bill Sarjeant, a former president of the Society, whose
      distinctive booming voice supports the harmony in many of the songs. The
      instruments include guitar, harmonica, fiddle, and whistle.

      The format is of a double cassette tracing their history. Each side is of a
      different configuration of the group, with two early configurations on side
      A. Contents: (A) The Bonny Ship the "Diamond"; The Shepherd Lad; C'est
      l'Aviron; Nellie At the Wake; La Laine des Moutons; The Bonny Lassie o'
      Fyvie; The Ballad Of Hairy Mary; Away With Rum!; She Moved Through The Fair
      (B) Chicken On A Raft; I'm An Old Batchelor; Joseph Baker; The Castle Of
      Dromore; Red Yo-Yo; The Yarn Of the "Nancy Belle"; Johnny McEldoo; Mrs.
      Ravoon; Bonnie Lassie I'll Lie Near Ye. (C)Mary Mack; The Twa Corbies; My
      Love's In Germany; Old Shoe Boots and Leggings; The Ballad Of Sammy's Bar;
      Hewlett; Take Me Out Of Pity; Paradise; The Dundee Ghost; The Overgate.. (D)
      By the Hush; Save Your Money When You're Young; The Lark In the Morning; The
      Man That Waters the Workers' Beer; Life In A Prairie Shack; My Keel Laddie;
      The Black Fly; The High Part Of the Town; Ratcliffe Highway; Will Ye Go to
      Sheriffmuir?
      Reviewed in the Bulletin, Vol. 29, No. 2 (June 1995)
       Cassette
      TG080C - $ 22.00

      -- David Lenander
      293 Selby Ave. St. Paul, MN 55102-1811