Bill Sarjeant and the Prairie Higglers

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2002
      O.K., Joan.

      The group's name was/is the "Prairie Higglers," and the album was _From Door
      to Door_. A note explains that "a higgler was a man who travelled from door
      to door in England, making small deals singing songs and telling tales to
      try to scratch a living. He was of a lower grade than the pedlars with their
      packs, but coupled with them in notices on doors that said: 'No pedlars, no
      higglers'."

      This particular group dates back to the formation of the "Traditional Folk
      Trio" in 1975, which had grown larger than a trio by the time they renamed
      themselves The Prairie Higglers, five years later.

      the album consists of twenty tracks, and checking the notes, "B. Sarjeant"
      doesn't even perform on all tracks, but he plays the drum, harmonica or
      spoons on many, and sings lead vocal on "The Brockie Lads" "Cursed be the
      Caller" and "The Old Durham Waltz" (all by Jez Lowe), "I Wish Pay Friday
      Would Come" (traditional), "Rise Up Jock" (Bob Pegg), and the familiar
      traditional "Lyke Wake Dirge." Since a numvber of the tracks are
      instrumentals, he may actually sing more leads than any other member of the
      Higglers.

      Contact for the CD is :
      Joe Mink
      11 Weir Crescent
      Saskatoon, SK S7H 3A8
      Canada

      Email: jmink@...

      Or at least that was the contact when the CD was released as "PH001"
      copyright 2000.

      I'm not going to undertake obtaining copies to sell at Mythcon, but if I
      remember, I'll try to bring it along in case anyone wants to try to hear
      some of it there, or if someone has a player, maybe we can play a Bill song
      or two at a Bardic Circle.

      -- David Lenander
      293 Selby Ave. St. Paul, MN 55102-1811
      d-lena@... 651-292-8887
    • yarrowp
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 17, 2002
        Thank you, David. I'll arrange to have a CD player at the bardic.
        In fact, if people agree, I'd like to dedicate one of the bardic
        circles to Bill.

        Pat Yarrow