William A. S. Sarjeant

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2002
      "David S. Bratman" wrote:

      > Joan, did you see the fuller obituary on the sff.net page? URL is
      > http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.discuss.obituaries&art=2160
      >
      > According to the obit, which comes, it says, from a paleontology mailing
      > list (Dr Sarjeant is - was - a geologist by profession), he died on Monday.

      Thanks for the link. I was sorry to learn about this, and surprised,
      since he ordered Sayers on Holmes just last month.

      I remember him from the Mythcon in Minneapolis, then the 1999 Mythcon in
      Milwaukee, and the Bree Moot in St. Paul in 2001. I found the song he
      sang at the Bardic Circle in Milwaukee about Saskatchewan to be
      memorable. He had a pleasant singing voice. I learned about his fiction
      writing at the Minneapolis Mythcon, where he read a part of it. And, at
      the 2001 Bree Moot, he gave a presentation about the geology and
      geography of Hobbiton and surrounding lands. Also, at the Bree Moot, he
      bought a copy of Autumn World (a novel I co-authored with 4 others) and
      had all the authors present autograph his copy, which was nice. I hope
      he enjoyed it.

      I'll remember him fondly. He was a nice man.

      Joan

      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2004
        I was reading Foreword magazine before getting on the plane to San
        Diego, and I saw a review of MS. HOLMES OF BAKER STREET, THE TRUTH ABOUT
        SHERLOCK, which apparently contains the premise that Sherlock Holmes may
        have been a woman. The title was by C. Alan Bradley and William A. S.
        Sarjeant. Publisher: University of Alberta Press, ISBN: 0-88864-415-9,
        softcover, $34.95.

        Joan
        Joan Marie Verba
        verba001@...
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28, 2004
          In a message dated 7/28/2004 11:34:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          verba001@... writes:

          > I was reading Foreword magazine before getting on the plane to San
          > Diego, and I saw a review of MS. HOLMES OF BAKER STREET, THE TRUTH ABOUT
          > SHERLOCK, which apparently contains the premise that Sherlock Holmes may
          > have been a woman. The title was by C. Alan Bradley and William A. S.
          > Sarjeant. Publisher: University of Alberta Press, ISBN: 0-88864-415-9,
          > softcover, $34.95.

          Just in case someone might be surprised by this announcement, this isn't a
          new book. It does appear to be a new publisher for the book. It was originally
          published in 1989. Bill Sarjeant was a longtime Mythopoeic Society member
          who died a couple of years ago, for those of you who don't recognize his name.
          Sheesh, this is an expensive edition. I hope it's at least a nice hardback.