Re: [mythsoc] William A. S. Sarjeant

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11 7:08 PM
      What a shame. I was so looking forward to seeing him at many Mythcons to
      come.

      I never learned "Saskatchewan" though I loved it - I depended upon Dr
      Sarjeant to sing it to me at Mythcon.

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 11 7:12 PM
        "David S. Bratman" wrote:

        > Joan, did you see the fuller obituary on the sff.net page? URL is
        > http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.discuss.obituaries&art=2160
        >
        > According to the obit, which comes, it says, from a paleontology mailing
        > list (Dr Sarjeant is - was - a geologist by profession), he died on Monday.

        Thanks for the link. I was sorry to learn about this, and surprised,
        since he ordered Sayers on Holmes just last month.

        I remember him from the Mythcon in Minneapolis, then the 1999 Mythcon in
        Milwaukee, and the Bree Moot in St. Paul in 2001. I found the song he
        sang at the Bardic Circle in Milwaukee about Saskatchewan to be
        memorable. He had a pleasant singing voice. I learned about his fiction
        writing at the Minneapolis Mythcon, where he read a part of it. And, at
        the 2001 Bree Moot, he gave a presentation about the geology and
        geography of Hobbiton and surrounding lands. Also, at the Bree Moot, he
        bought a copy of Autumn World (a novel I co-authored with 4 others) and
        had all the authors present autograph his copy, which was nice. I hope
        he enjoyed it.

        I'll remember him fondly. He was a nice man.

        Joan

        Joan Marie Verba
        verba001@...
      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28 7:58 AM
          I was reading Foreword magazine before getting on the plane to San
          Diego, and I saw a review of MS. HOLMES OF BAKER STREET, THE TRUTH ABOUT
          SHERLOCK, which apparently contains the premise that Sherlock Holmes may
          have been a woman. The title was by C. Alan Bradley and William A. S.
          Sarjeant. Publisher: University of Alberta Press, ISBN: 0-88864-415-9,
          softcover, $34.95.

          Joan
          Joan Marie Verba
          verba001@...
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 28 9:35 AM
            In a message dated 7/28/2004 11:34:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            verba001@... writes:

            > I was reading Foreword magazine before getting on the plane to San
            > Diego, and I saw a review of MS. HOLMES OF BAKER STREET, THE TRUTH ABOUT
            > SHERLOCK, which apparently contains the premise that Sherlock Holmes may
            > have been a woman. The title was by C. Alan Bradley and William A. S.
            > Sarjeant. Publisher: University of Alberta Press, ISBN: 0-88864-415-9,
            > softcover, $34.95.

            Just in case someone might be surprised by this announcement, this isn't a
            new book. It does appear to be a new publisher for the book. It was originally
            published in 1989. Bill Sarjeant was a longtime Mythopoeic Society member
            who died a couple of years ago, for those of you who don't recognize his name.
            Sheesh, this is an expensive edition. I hope it's at least a nice hardback.