Re: [mythsoc] William A. S. Sarjeant

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2002
      I'm bummed. I liked him a lot. I always looked forward to seeing him again at
      Mythcons. His department is probably out doing field work on their summer break
      (that's what most paleontologists/geologists do).

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 11, 2002
        What a shame. I was so looking forward to seeing him at many Mythcons to
        come.

        I never learned "Saskatchewan" though I loved it - I depended upon Dr
        Sarjeant to sing it to me at Mythcon.

        Diamond Proudbrook

      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2002
          "David S. Bratman" wrote:

          > Joan, did you see the fuller obituary on the sff.net page? URL is
          > http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.discuss.obituaries&art=2160
          >
          > According to the obit, which comes, it says, from a paleontology mailing
          > list (Dr Sarjeant is - was - a geologist by profession), he died on Monday.

          Thanks for the link. I was sorry to learn about this, and surprised,
          since he ordered Sayers on Holmes just last month.

          I remember him from the Mythcon in Minneapolis, then the 1999 Mythcon in
          Milwaukee, and the Bree Moot in St. Paul in 2001. I found the song he
          sang at the Bardic Circle in Milwaukee about Saskatchewan to be
          memorable. He had a pleasant singing voice. I learned about his fiction
          writing at the Minneapolis Mythcon, where he read a part of it. And, at
          the 2001 Bree Moot, he gave a presentation about the geology and
          geography of Hobbiton and surrounding lands. Also, at the Bree Moot, he
          bought a copy of Autumn World (a novel I co-authored with 4 others) and
          had all the authors present autograph his copy, which was nice. I hope
          he enjoyed it.

          I'll remember him fondly. He was a nice man.

          Joan

          Joan Marie Verba
          verba001@...
        • Joan Marie Verba
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 28, 2004
            I was reading Foreword magazine before getting on the plane to San
            Diego, and I saw a review of MS. HOLMES OF BAKER STREET, THE TRUTH ABOUT
            SHERLOCK, which apparently contains the premise that Sherlock Holmes may
            have been a woman. The title was by C. Alan Bradley and William A. S.
            Sarjeant. Publisher: University of Alberta Press, ISBN: 0-88864-415-9,
            softcover, $34.95.

            Joan
            Joan Marie Verba
            verba001@...
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 28, 2004
              In a message dated 7/28/2004 11:34:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              verba001@... writes:

              > I was reading Foreword magazine before getting on the plane to San
              > Diego, and I saw a review of MS. HOLMES OF BAKER STREET, THE TRUTH ABOUT
              > SHERLOCK, which apparently contains the premise that Sherlock Holmes may
              > have been a woman. The title was by C. Alan Bradley and William A. S.
              > Sarjeant. Publisher: University of Alberta Press, ISBN: 0-88864-415-9,
              > softcover, $34.95.

              Just in case someone might be surprised by this announcement, this isn't a
              new book. It does appear to be a new publisher for the book. It was originally
              published in 1989. Bill Sarjeant was a longtime Mythopoeic Society member
              who died a couple of years ago, for those of you who don't recognize his name.
              Sheesh, this is an expensive edition. I hope it's at least a nice hardback.