Tolkien Rock

  • Pauline J. Alama
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2002
      Ha ha. Yes, I had noticed some odd references to Mordor and Gollum in Ramble On when listening to WPLJ-FM in my teens. I think Tolkien would have felt it was orc music.

      I remember reading that the Beatles had toyed with the idea of doing a Lord of the Rings movie. They'd picked out parts for themselves: Paul as Frodo, Ringo as Sam, George as Gandalf (he liked the notion of being a wizard -- you can see him in wizard's robes in Magical Mystery Tour), and John as Gollum, which I think is rather good casting. Then, as happened with many of the Beatles' ideas, they promptly abandoned it and went off and did something else. I doubt they could have carried off a full-length movie, but I think a concept album would have been interesting, although I suppose Tolkien wouldn't have liked it a bit, electric instruments and all that.
      Pauline

      Pauline J. Alama
      THE EYE OF NIGHT
      (Bantam Spectra, July 2002)