Re: [mythsoc] William A. S. Sarjeant

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2002
      Joan, did you see the fuller obituary on the sff.net page? URL is
      http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.discuss.obituaries&art=2160

      According to the obit, which comes, it says, from a paleontology mailing
      list (Dr Sarjeant is - was - a geologist by profession), he died on Monday.
      Very sorry to hear this: he was a colorful and invigorating presence at
      Mythcons, especially at the Bardic Circle, and - I was pleased to discover
      when he kindly gave me copies of his Rockall books - a captivating fiction
      writer too.

      Nothing about this is on the page at his university department yet
      (http://www.usask.ca/geology/)

      David Bratman
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 11, 2002
        I'm bummed. I liked him a lot. I always looked forward to seeing him again at
        Mythcons. His department is probably out doing field work on their summer break
        (that's what most paleontologists/geologists do).

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2002
          What a shame. I was so looking forward to seeing him at many Mythcons to
          come.

          I never learned "Saskatchewan" though I loved it - I depended upon Dr
          Sarjeant to sing it to me at Mythcon.

          Diamond Proudbrook

        • Joan Marie Verba
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11, 2002
            "David S. Bratman" wrote:

            > Joan, did you see the fuller obituary on the sff.net page? URL is
            > http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.discuss.obituaries&art=2160
            >
            > According to the obit, which comes, it says, from a paleontology mailing
            > list (Dr Sarjeant is - was - a geologist by profession), he died on Monday.

            Thanks for the link. I was sorry to learn about this, and surprised,
            since he ordered Sayers on Holmes just last month.

            I remember him from the Mythcon in Minneapolis, then the 1999 Mythcon in
            Milwaukee, and the Bree Moot in St. Paul in 2001. I found the song he
            sang at the Bardic Circle in Milwaukee about Saskatchewan to be
            memorable. He had a pleasant singing voice. I learned about his fiction
            writing at the Minneapolis Mythcon, where he read a part of it. And, at
            the 2001 Bree Moot, he gave a presentation about the geology and
            geography of Hobbiton and surrounding lands. Also, at the Bree Moot, he
            bought a copy of Autumn World (a novel I co-authored with 4 others) and
            had all the authors present autograph his copy, which was nice. I hope
            he enjoyed it.

            I'll remember him fondly. He was a nice man.

            Joan

            Joan Marie Verba
            verba001@...
          • Joan Marie Verba
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 28, 2004
              I was reading Foreword magazine before getting on the plane to San
              Diego, and I saw a review of MS. HOLMES OF BAKER STREET, THE TRUTH ABOUT
              SHERLOCK, which apparently contains the premise that Sherlock Holmes may
              have been a woman. The title was by C. Alan Bradley and William A. S.
              Sarjeant. Publisher: University of Alberta Press, ISBN: 0-88864-415-9,
              softcover, $34.95.

              Joan
              Joan Marie Verba
              verba001@...
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 28, 2004
                In a message dated 7/28/2004 11:34:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                verba001@... writes:

                > I was reading Foreword magazine before getting on the plane to San
                > Diego, and I saw a review of MS. HOLMES OF BAKER STREET, THE TRUTH ABOUT
                > SHERLOCK, which apparently contains the premise that Sherlock Holmes may
                > have been a woman. The title was by C. Alan Bradley and William A. S.
                > Sarjeant. Publisher: University of Alberta Press, ISBN: 0-88864-415-9,
                > softcover, $34.95.

                Just in case someone might be surprised by this announcement, this isn't a
                new book. It does appear to be a new publisher for the book. It was originally
                published in 1989. Bill Sarjeant was a longtime Mythopoeic Society member
                who died a couple of years ago, for those of you who don't recognize his name.
                Sheesh, this is an expensive edition. I hope it's at least a nice hardback.