William A. S. Sarjeant

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2002
      The SFWA page on sff.net has an "in memoriam" to William A. S. Sarjeant.
      Can anyone confirm this?

      If I find more details, too, I'll post them here.

      Thanks,
      Joan
      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 11, 2002
        Joan, did you see the fuller obituary on the sff.net page? URL is
        http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.discuss.obituaries&art=2160

        According to the obit, which comes, it says, from a paleontology mailing
        list (Dr Sarjeant is - was - a geologist by profession), he died on Monday.
        Very sorry to hear this: he was a colorful and invigorating presence at
        Mythcons, especially at the Bardic Circle, and - I was pleased to discover
        when he kindly gave me copies of his Rockall books - a captivating fiction
        writer too.

        Nothing about this is on the page at his university department yet
        (http://www.usask.ca/geology/)

        David Bratman
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2002
          I'm bummed. I liked him a lot. I always looked forward to seeing him again at
          Mythcons. His department is probably out doing field work on their summer break
          (that's what most paleontologists/geologists do).

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11, 2002
            What a shame. I was so looking forward to seeing him at many Mythcons to
            come.

            I never learned "Saskatchewan" though I loved it - I depended upon Dr
            Sarjeant to sing it to me at Mythcon.

            Diamond Proudbrook

          • Joan Marie Verba
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 11, 2002
              "David S. Bratman" wrote:

              > Joan, did you see the fuller obituary on the sff.net page? URL is
              > http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.discuss.obituaries&art=2160
              >
              > According to the obit, which comes, it says, from a paleontology mailing
              > list (Dr Sarjeant is - was - a geologist by profession), he died on Monday.

              Thanks for the link. I was sorry to learn about this, and surprised,
              since he ordered Sayers on Holmes just last month.

              I remember him from the Mythcon in Minneapolis, then the 1999 Mythcon in
              Milwaukee, and the Bree Moot in St. Paul in 2001. I found the song he
              sang at the Bardic Circle in Milwaukee about Saskatchewan to be
              memorable. He had a pleasant singing voice. I learned about his fiction
              writing at the Minneapolis Mythcon, where he read a part of it. And, at
              the 2001 Bree Moot, he gave a presentation about the geology and
              geography of Hobbiton and surrounding lands. Also, at the Bree Moot, he
              bought a copy of Autumn World (a novel I co-authored with 4 others) and
              had all the authors present autograph his copy, which was nice. I hope
              he enjoyed it.

              I'll remember him fondly. He was a nice man.

              Joan

              Joan Marie Verba
              verba001@...
            • Joan Marie Verba
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 28, 2004
                I was reading Foreword magazine before getting on the plane to San
                Diego, and I saw a review of MS. HOLMES OF BAKER STREET, THE TRUTH ABOUT
                SHERLOCK, which apparently contains the premise that Sherlock Holmes may
                have been a woman. The title was by C. Alan Bradley and William A. S.
                Sarjeant. Publisher: University of Alberta Press, ISBN: 0-88864-415-9,
                softcover, $34.95.

                Joan
                Joan Marie Verba
                verba001@...
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 28, 2004
                  In a message dated 7/28/2004 11:34:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  verba001@... writes:

                  > I was reading Foreword magazine before getting on the plane to San
                  > Diego, and I saw a review of MS. HOLMES OF BAKER STREET, THE TRUTH ABOUT
                  > SHERLOCK, which apparently contains the premise that Sherlock Holmes may
                  > have been a woman. The title was by C. Alan Bradley and William A. S.
                  > Sarjeant. Publisher: University of Alberta Press, ISBN: 0-88864-415-9,
                  > softcover, $34.95.

                  Just in case someone might be surprised by this announcement, this isn't a
                  new book. It does appear to be a new publisher for the book. It was originally
                  published in 1989. Bill Sarjeant was a longtime Mythopoeic Society member
                  who died a couple of years ago, for those of you who don't recognize his name.
                  Sheesh, this is an expensive edition. I hope it's at least a nice hardback.