Re: [mythsoc] Bo Hansson's _The Lord of the Rings_

  • David Westlake
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
      Yes regarding music for The Lord of the Rings,
      I think that you have a valid point but that is art. Our imagination is
      what gives us the sensory images when we read a book, especially Tolkien.
      Everyone's images will be different and often others are disappointing. I
      think of another medium immediately when I read your comment. The film was
      a bit disappointing for me. How could it even attempt to capture the
      pictures of my own mental domain. There were moments when I almost yelled
      out, "No! That is not what it looks like." or "Why did you cast him or
      her?" Music is the same.
      Regarding Philip Glass, sometimes he drives me crazy but other times he
      absolutely captures the harmony of the spheres. Have you ever heard Kronos
      play his music?
      What about the soundtrack of the movie? Do you like it?
      I wonder if people from the east who read Tolkien in translation have a
      whole another set of images that come to mind. Think of a reader from India
      or the Middle East. What does Aragorn or Gandolf look like in their mind's
      eyes or do they ever hear sitar when reading of the fellowship?

      Paix,
      David
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
        I actually have the original record album ..lying tucked
        away in a dresser drawer.
        Which goes to show my opinion of it.
        I liked the "Music Inspired by The Lord of the Rings" by
        the Elbereth Orchestra, who is David Arkenstone and friends.
        I bought it at the same time as I bought the movie soundtrack
        and wish they
        had done the score for the film.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 11, 2002
          In a message dated 7/10/2002 10:29:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          trekking@... writes:

          > Yes regarding music for The Lord of the Rings,

          Um, yes in answer to which question?

          > What about the soundtrack of the movie? Do you like it?

          Moderately well. Even the things in the movie that I disagree with I can see
          why someone would do them that way. Bo Hansson's music is simply baffling to
          me, though. I can't see any relationship between it and _The Lord of the
          Rings_.