Re: [mythsoc] Bo Hansson's _The Lord of the Rings_

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
      In a message dated 7/10/2002 12:06:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      > Philip Glass _is_ interesting and varied; his use of variation is just
      > different from what one normally expects.

      I like some of Philip Glass's works, but they push the bounds on
      repetitiveness. Hansson goes across those bounds.

    • David Westlake
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
        Yes regarding music for The Lord of the Rings,
        I think that you have a valid point but that is art. Our imagination is
        what gives us the sensory images when we read a book, especially Tolkien.
        Everyone's images will be different and often others are disappointing. I
        think of another medium immediately when I read your comment. The film was
        a bit disappointing for me. How could it even attempt to capture the
        pictures of my own mental domain. There were moments when I almost yelled
        out, "No! That is not what it looks like." or "Why did you cast him or
        her?" Music is the same.
        Regarding Philip Glass, sometimes he drives me crazy but other times he
        absolutely captures the harmony of the spheres. Have you ever heard Kronos
        play his music?
        What about the soundtrack of the movie? Do you like it?
        I wonder if people from the east who read Tolkien in translation have a
        whole another set of images that come to mind. Think of a reader from India
        or the Middle East. What does Aragorn or Gandolf look like in their mind's
        eyes or do they ever hear sitar when reading of the fellowship?

        Paix,
        David
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
          I actually have the original record album ..lying tucked
          away in a dresser drawer.
          Which goes to show my opinion of it.
          I liked the "Music Inspired by The Lord of the Rings" by
          the Elbereth Orchestra, who is David Arkenstone and friends.
          I bought it at the same time as I bought the movie soundtrack
          and wish they
          had done the score for the film.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 11, 2002
            In a message dated 7/10/2002 10:29:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            trekking@... writes:

            > Yes regarding music for The Lord of the Rings,

            Um, yes in answer to which question?

            > What about the soundtrack of the movie? Do you like it?

            Moderately well. Even the things in the movie that I disagree with I can see
            why someone would do them that way. Bo Hansson's music is simply baffling to
            me, though. I can't see any relationship between it and _The Lord of the
            Rings_.