Northernness

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2002
      On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 11:57, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 21:20:01 -0000
      > From: "grannygreek" <grannygreek@...>
      > Subject: northerness
      > I was wondering if someone could help me. I'm writing a story at the
      > minute and the setting is Northern (I guess I'd say it was the
      > ancient North of Ireland at a push, but really just the North in
      > general). My particular feeling on mythology and the North would be
      > that it is harsh, but very real, and the mythology is embedded deep
      > in the conciousness of the people, in fact it is so deep that it

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 15:47:57 -0700
      > From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

      > Message: 3
      > Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 20:35:02 -0400
      > From: Old.Ghost@...
      > Subject: Re: Tolkien & trees, Potter & LotR and humor
      > Between the desire for farmland, the desire
      > for pretty wooden things and the ever-present threat of fire, how many
      > wild and ancient trees can survive? Someone once described a suburb a

      Here on the northern prairie, we -plant- trees, and lots of them, to
      protect our farmsteads from the near-constant winds, and especially from
      winter's blast. Northernness -here- manifests in a different way, I
      think, but I suspect similar to ancient Scandinavia and Britain. Nature
      is not kind. Nature can kill, in the winter, quite easily. Humans don't
      see each other as the enemy, as they do in the southlands. Rather, it is
      the elements that they band together against. It isn't that nature is
      evil, nor ugly - it is beautiful, but surviving winters takes selfless
      helping of others without thinking about it. So there is a sense of
      community, real community, not political posturing, and struggle against
      the elements, even while appreciating the beauty of nature. It is a
      world of building, not of lazing. Of challenge and struggle, but not
      against other people. Against the wind, and the snow, and the ice, and
      whatever lies behind those howls you hear in the eaves at night. Tolkien
      actually had very little of that in LoTR. Joel Rosenberg (I think it is)
      in _Eternal Shores_ which takes place along the North
      Dakota/Minnesota/Manitoba border has some of this in it. (or am I mixing
      a novel by another author, with an author in another series, both of
      whom have this?)

      Think of the old carol "To Drive the Cold Winter Away"

      "When the ice is black,
      and the snow is sharp,
      and the horizon blends with the sky"

      When the hair in your nose
      freezes, iced to a close
      and your thoughts are fixed fast on the fire
    • grannygreek
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2002
        Thank-you both very much!! That was really helpful. I have surprised
        by joy, but hadn't read it yet - I'm reading it now though! Yes, it's
        interesting how Northernness can be diferent yet the same in
        different parts of the world.

        Thanks again!
        Jenny.