Re: [mythsoc] Bo Hansson's _The Lord of the Rings_

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10 9:06 AM
      Wendell -

      I've heard Bo Hansson's music, but I don't think I have a copy, which says
      pretty much what I thought of it.

      Hansson's album got a fair amount of attention in Tolkien fandom when it
      was new, because it was the only one of its type. Apart from "The Road
      Goes Ever On" and a few rock songs, it was just about the only notable
      Tolkien-inspired music out there.

      Nowadays there's a lot more, and a few classical composers of genuine
      importance, like Glenn Buhr of Canada and Aulis Sallinen of Finland, have
      written orchestral works inspired by Tolkien, some of which have been
      recorded. The most popular purely instrumental work inspired by Tolkien is
      the Symphony No. 1 for Band "The Lord of the Rings" by Johan de Meij of the
      Netherlands. It's been recorded two or three times, and I think it's
      really quite good as music. It certainly has more artistic heft than the
      soundtracks to either the Bakshi or Jackson films.

      Whether any of these will fit your image of what Tolkienian music should
      sound like, I couldn't say.

      There's a thorough list of Tolkien music - instrumental inspired by, songs
      inspired by, settings of his poems, everything - at
      http://www.telia.lv/~witchcraft/jrrt/ - but unfortunately it lacks much
      description or comment.

      At 04:52 AM 7/10/2002 , you wrote:
      > It's rather bland and repetitious. Compared with this, Philip Glass is
      >interesting and varied.

      Philip Glass _is_ interesting and varied; his use of variation is just
      different from what one normally expects. The claim that he's all
      repetition and monotony is as specious as the Edmund Wilson/Philip Toynbee
      dismissal of Tolkien.

      David Bratman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10 6:13 PM
        In a message dated 7/10/2002 12:06:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        dbratman@... writes:

        > Philip Glass _is_ interesting and varied; his use of variation is just
        > different from what one normally expects.

        I like some of Philip Glass's works, but they push the bounds on
        repetitiveness. Hansson goes across those bounds.

      • David Westlake
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10 7:28 PM
          Yes regarding music for The Lord of the Rings,
          I think that you have a valid point but that is art. Our imagination is
          what gives us the sensory images when we read a book, especially Tolkien.
          Everyone's images will be different and often others are disappointing. I
          think of another medium immediately when I read your comment. The film was
          a bit disappointing for me. How could it even attempt to capture the
          pictures of my own mental domain. There were moments when I almost yelled
          out, "No! That is not what it looks like." or "Why did you cast him or
          her?" Music is the same.
          Regarding Philip Glass, sometimes he drives me crazy but other times he
          absolutely captures the harmony of the spheres. Have you ever heard Kronos
          play his music?
          What about the soundtrack of the movie? Do you like it?
          I wonder if people from the east who read Tolkien in translation have a
          whole another set of images that come to mind. Think of a reader from India
          or the Middle East. What does Aragorn or Gandolf look like in their mind's
          eyes or do they ever hear sitar when reading of the fellowship?

          Paix,
          David
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 10 10:10 PM
            I actually have the original record album ..lying tucked
            away in a dresser drawer.
            Which goes to show my opinion of it.
            I liked the "Music Inspired by The Lord of the Rings" by
            the Elbereth Orchestra, who is David Arkenstone and friends.
            I bought it at the same time as I bought the movie soundtrack
            and wish they
            had done the score for the film.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 11 12:23 AM
              In a message dated 7/10/2002 10:29:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              trekking@... writes:

              > Yes regarding music for The Lord of the Rings,

              Um, yes in answer to which question?

              > What about the soundtrack of the movie? Do you like it?

              Moderately well. Even the things in the movie that I disagree with I can see
              why someone would do them that way. Bo Hansson's music is simply baffling to
              me, though. I can't see any relationship between it and _The Lord of the
              Rings_.