Bo Hansson's _The Lord of the Rings_

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
      I just listened to an album of music called _The Lord of the Rings_ recorded
      in 1969 by a Swedish musician named Bo Hansson. Has anyone else ever
      listened to this? It's instrumental music inspired by his reading of _The
      Lord of the Rings_, and each section is labeled by an incident from the book.
      I had heard of it several times over the years and decided to get it when it
      was rereleased this year.

      I don't get it. I don't find the music to be remotely Tolkien-like. I can't
      see any relationship between the music in each section and the event by which
      that section is labeled. I don't even find the music particularly enjoyable.
      It's rather bland and repetitious. Compared with this, Philip Glass is
      interesting and varied.

      Wendell Wagner
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
        Wendell -

        I've heard Bo Hansson's music, but I don't think I have a copy, which says
        pretty much what I thought of it.

        Hansson's album got a fair amount of attention in Tolkien fandom when it
        was new, because it was the only one of its type. Apart from "The Road
        Goes Ever On" and a few rock songs, it was just about the only notable
        Tolkien-inspired music out there.

        Nowadays there's a lot more, and a few classical composers of genuine
        importance, like Glenn Buhr of Canada and Aulis Sallinen of Finland, have
        written orchestral works inspired by Tolkien, some of which have been
        recorded. The most popular purely instrumental work inspired by Tolkien is
        the Symphony No. 1 for Band "The Lord of the Rings" by Johan de Meij of the
        Netherlands. It's been recorded two or three times, and I think it's
        really quite good as music. It certainly has more artistic heft than the
        soundtracks to either the Bakshi or Jackson films.

        Whether any of these will fit your image of what Tolkienian music should
        sound like, I couldn't say.

        There's a thorough list of Tolkien music - instrumental inspired by, songs
        inspired by, settings of his poems, everything - at
        http://www.telia.lv/~witchcraft/jrrt/ - but unfortunately it lacks much
        description or comment.

        At 04:52 AM 7/10/2002 , you wrote:
        > It's rather bland and repetitious. Compared with this, Philip Glass is
        >interesting and varied.

        Philip Glass _is_ interesting and varied; his use of variation is just
        different from what one normally expects. The claim that he's all
        repetition and monotony is as specious as the Edmund Wilson/Philip Toynbee
        dismissal of Tolkien.

        David Bratman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
          In a message dated 7/10/2002 12:06:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          dbratman@... writes:

          > Philip Glass _is_ interesting and varied; his use of variation is just
          > different from what one normally expects.

          I like some of Philip Glass's works, but they push the bounds on
          repetitiveness. Hansson goes across those bounds.

        • David Westlake
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
            Yes regarding music for The Lord of the Rings,
            I think that you have a valid point but that is art. Our imagination is
            what gives us the sensory images when we read a book, especially Tolkien.
            Everyone's images will be different and often others are disappointing. I
            think of another medium immediately when I read your comment. The film was
            a bit disappointing for me. How could it even attempt to capture the
            pictures of my own mental domain. There were moments when I almost yelled
            out, "No! That is not what it looks like." or "Why did you cast him or
            her?" Music is the same.
            Regarding Philip Glass, sometimes he drives me crazy but other times he
            absolutely captures the harmony of the spheres. Have you ever heard Kronos
            play his music?
            What about the soundtrack of the movie? Do you like it?
            I wonder if people from the east who read Tolkien in translation have a
            whole another set of images that come to mind. Think of a reader from India
            or the Middle East. What does Aragorn or Gandolf look like in their mind's
            eyes or do they ever hear sitar when reading of the fellowship?

            Paix,
            David
            > I just listened to an album of music called _The Lord of the Rings_
            recorded
            > in 1969 by a Swedish musician named Bo Hansson. Has anyone else ever
            > listened to this? It's instrumental music inspired by his reading of _The
            > Lord of the Rings_, and each section is labeled by an incident from the
            book.
            > I had heard of it several times over the years and decided to get it when
            it
            > was rereleased this year.
            >
            > I don't get it. I don't find the music to be remotely Tolkien-like. I
            can't
            > see any relationship between the music in each section and the event by
            which
            > that section is labeled. I don't even find the music particularly
            enjoyable.
            > It's rather bland and repetitious. Compared with this, Philip Glass is
            > interesting and varied.
            >
            > Wendell Wagner

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
              I actually have the original record album ..lying tucked
              away in a dresser drawer.
              Which goes to show my opinion of it.
              I liked the "Music Inspired by The Lord of the Rings" by
              the Elbereth Orchestra, who is David Arkenstone and friends.
              I bought it at the same time as I bought the movie soundtrack
              and wish they
              had done the score for the film.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 11, 2002
                In a message dated 7/10/2002 10:29:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                trekking@... writes:

                > Yes regarding music for The Lord of the Rings,

                Um, yes in answer to which question?

                > What about the soundtrack of the movie? Do you like it?

                Moderately well. Even the things in the movie that I disagree with I can see
                why someone would do them that way. Bo Hansson's music is simply baffling to
                me, though. I can't see any relationship between it and _The Lord of the
                Rings_.