The first mention of Tolkien in a fiction

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25, 2002
      At the Knossos meeting (Knossos is our local Mythopoeic group) on Friday,
      Mimi Stevens mentioned a book that seems not to be known by Tolkien scholars.
      Mimi said that she first heard of Tolkien in a children's novel (one mention
      of it on a website says that it's intended to be read by 9- to 11-year-olds)
      that she read in 1950. The book is _The Invisible Island_ by Dean Marshall,
      published by E. P. Dutton in 1948. On page 127 of her copy (which was a
      third printing of the book from 1950), there's a place where one of the
      characters quotes from _The Hobbit_. There's a footnote at the same place
      saying that _The Hobbit_ is by J. R. R. Tolkien.

      Marshall is an American author whose full name was Clara Dean Marshall. She
      was a librarian in Connecticut. All her books are long out of print. It may
      be easier to try to find the book in a library that keeps old children's
      books rather than to find it from a used bookseller.

      I wonder if this isn't the first mention of Tolkien in a piece of fiction.

      Here's a website about Dean Marshall:

      http://users.adelphia.net/~deanfan/deanmarshall/index.html

      Wendell Wagner
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 25, 2002
        Wendell -

        That's very interesting.

        I presume the quote is not too long: would it be possible for you to give
        it to us, with enough context (quoted or paraphrased) to make it clear why
        the character is quoting _The Hobbit_?

        David Bratman

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 25, 2002
          I'll ask Mimi Stevens to send me the quote from _The Invisible Island_.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 27, 2002
            In a message dated 6/25/2002 1:09:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            dbratman@... writes:

            > I presume the quote is not too long: would it be possible for you to give
            > it to us, with enough context (quoted or paraphrased) to make it clear why
            > the character is quoting _The Hobbit_?

            I E-mailed Mimi to ask her to give me the quote and some context. She rose
            from her sick bed to reply as follows: