Manichean/Buddhist correlates?

  • odzer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2002
      >Buddhism but also karma,
      >from Buddhism and other eastern religions,
      >which influences but doesn't truly determine
      >choices.

      As a long time Buddhist myself, I feel I might clarify somewhat the term
      'karma', which might sound exotic to some but is actually quite
      straightforward; it refers to the immutable principle of cause and effect, ie
      all events have preceding cause or causes, all events have subsequent
      consequences. But yes it is true, as jan points out, karma does not determine
      choices per se, but it does powerfully influences them by shaping the
      situation in which those choices will be made.
      As for the Buddhist understanding of evil, which is considered basically a
      stubborn ignorance of 'good' I will pass over that larger subject for now,
      except to say briefly that there is not a sense in Buddhism of being
      'punished' for misdeeds, but rather their consequences will naturally create
      suffering, sooner or later.( And 'good deeds' having good karma, conversely
      bring future benefit). Also, "hell" is created by the mind,(and so is unique
      for each individual in some sense) and has no inherent existance outside of
      mind and its projections, which are nonetheless very 'real' to each
      individual's experience.Mmmm I could go on with this theme, but enough for
      now!
    • jamcconney@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2002
        In a message dated 6/15/2002 12:59:41 PM Central Daylight Time, odzer@...
        writes:

        > As a long time Buddhist myself, I feel I might clarify somewhat the term
        > 'karma', which might sound exotic to some but is actually quite
        > straightforward;

        Fascinating! I know--I begin to sound like Mr. Spock. But all this wisdom,
        all this knowledge, all this talent gives me great joy. Anything that expands
        the horizons also stretches the soul.

        Jamaq