Re: [mythsoc]and yet more on good and evil

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2002
      I remember reading a letter to the editor from a Jewish rabbi about the time
      the Carmelites were planning to build a convent at Auschwiz. He wrote about
      the sparks of souls which needed to be freed....

      This was years ago, so I can't quote the letter verbatim, and I don't know
      enough to discuss the idea itself, except to say that he wrote beautifully
      and lovingly and I wish I had kept it. Speaking for myself I would gladly
      learn more about this, and also about John of the Cross, of whom, despite an
      interest in mysticism, I've never studied deeply.

      But I wonder (hesitantly, very hesitantly) if maybe this three-way
      conversation between (Wow!) a Jewish convert, a former Carmelite and an
      Episcopal priest may not be boring to other list members. You guys are great
      to indulge us! Thanks--and please join in!

      Jamaq
    • Christine Howlett
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2002
        I hope you will continue the conversation. I'm not well-read enough to add
        to it, but I am very much enjoying the thoughts coming out of it.

        Christine
        > I remember reading a letter to the editor from a Jewish rabbi about the
        time
        > the Carmelites were planning to build a convent at Auschwiz. He wrote
        about
        > the sparks of souls which needed to be freed....
        >
        > This was years ago, so I can't quote the letter verbatim, and I don't know
        > enough to discuss the idea itself, except to say that he wrote beautifully
        > and lovingly and I wish I had kept it. Speaking for myself I would gladly
        > learn more about this, and also about John of the Cross, of whom, despite
        an
        > interest in mysticism, I've never studied deeply.
        >
        > But I wonder (hesitantly, very hesitantly) if maybe this three-way
        > conversation between (Wow!) a Jewish convert, a former Carmelite and an
        > Episcopal priest may not be boring to other list members. You guys are
        great
        > to indulge us! Thanks--and please join in!
        >
        > Jamaq

      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 14, 2002
          > You guys are great
          > to indulge us! Thanks--and please join in!

          I think it's time to say...as the Friendly Neighborhood List
          Administrator...that this IS off-topic and I would prefer that the
          discussion continue off-list. The discussion of whether Tolkien or LotR
          follows a theological philosophy is on-topic, but comparisions of Bible
          translations, general discussions of good and evil--apart from Lewis,
          Tolkien, Williams, and other fantasy authors, that is--is off-topic.

          Thank you for your patience and understanding.
          Joan

          Joan Marie Verba
          verba001@...