Re: [mythsoc]More on good and evil

  • juliet@firinn.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2002
      > --And to hopefully bring this email back somewhat to the main purpose of the
      > group, here's a possibly related question about a piece of literature that,
      > after reading your paragraph, I'm beginning to think may be more
      > "mythopoeic" than I realized. Some months ago I got about halfway through
      > reading a book called _A Blessing on the Moon_, and then got stalled
      > (because of which stalling, I'm afraid, I can't lay hands on it immediately
      > and don't remember the name of the author).

      Try this:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0425167135/qid=1024070683/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-9132554-5543830

      It says it's by Joseph Skibell. Interestingly, it also says the main
      character is Chaim Skibelski...perhaps an actual ancestor of Joseph
      Skibell?
    • rbryant42@juno.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2002
        On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:16:40 -0500 "trudygshaw" <tgshaw@...>
        writes:

        [snip]
        > -- In John of the Cross's theology of the "dark night" (which has
        > also been
        > vastly misunderstood and oversimplified in its own right) he uses
        > the image
        > of the light of God being so bright that we cannot see it, so we
        > interpret
        > it as darkness. This seems to me to resonate with Jewish mystical
        > thought
        > (and with what you've said in the above paragraph) in a way I can't
        > quite
        > articulate. Is this totally offbeam, or does it have any
        > possibilities for
        > further exploration? (IMVHO, all mysticism shares the same center,
        > even
        > though we may never reach it--which is one of the reasons I'm a
        > *former*
        > Carmelite, BTW.)

        You might already be aware of this source, but it bears repeating ...

        There's an excellent overview of the "dark night of the soul" in Evelyn
        Underhill's _Mysticism,_ in my opinion, still the best textbook on the
        overall subject, mainly because of its being an invaluable bibliographic
        resource for the great Christian mystics, and its being written by an
        avowed Christian mystic who set forth her own studies and reflections as
        part of her own personal striving to integrate her mystical experiences
        with her Anglican faith.

        The "darkness" in this case isn't precisely the same kind that's usually
        meant to symbolize evil, but thereby hangs a bit of exposition ... *g*

        The entire text can be found on the 'net at Wheaton's Christian Classics
        Ethereal Library, http://ccel.wheaton.edu/ .

        This might not seem topical, but it is very much so. Miss Underhill has a
        connection with the Inklings by way of her association with Charles
        Williams.

        Under the Mercy,

        R.

        "Coffee...the finest organic suspension ever devised!" -- Cap'n Kate
        Janeway
        E-mail: rbryant42@...
        Page: Y!M ID: rbryant42 *** AIM: rbryant4200a *** ICQ #128520558
        Web: http://www.geocities.com/r_bryant42/
        http://www.geocities.com/rbryant42/