Re: [mythsoc] Reading disappearing along with hand ground corn meal?

  • trudygshaw
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2002
      From: Jane Bigelow
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 11:49 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Reading disappearing along with hand ground corn meal?

      >I'm inclined to agree
      with the New York writer Fran Lebkowitz. She recommended that, unless you
      are working on a cure for cancer, you take occasional time off. I'd add a
      suggestion to spend some of it reading and thinking.

      Actually, I wish someone could convince my boss that even (or, perhaps, especially) when you *are* working on a cure for cancer, you need to take occasional time off--for reading and thinking about other things.

      I hope Ms. Lebkowitz wasn't really meaning to exclude our part of the population!

      -- Trudy

    • Jane Bigelow
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 14, 2002
        Trudy,

        I know I didn't mean to exclude your segment of the population! You're
        involved in medical research, I take it? Yes, it's absolutely necessary to
        clear the mind now & then. Proofreaders (does anyone use them any more?)
        used to be advised to take occasional short breaks because after awhile
        they simply wouldn't be able to see mistakes any more. As a general rule,
        no human lives depend on a proofreader--I'd say it's even more important in
        fields where some may.

        I was quoting a very short quote from a long piece, read some time ago.

        Jane