Reading disappearing along with hand ground corn meal?

  • Jan Theodore Galkowski
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2002
      The New York Times ran a disturbing quote today as its
      online leader-teaser, from one Ed Needham, new managing
      editor of ROLLING STONE Magazine. It read:

      All the great media adventures of the 20th
      century have been visual. Television, movies,
      the Internet, they're all visual mediums and
      I don't think people have time to sit down
      and read.

      While I don't believe Mr Needham is correct, even embracing
      his assumptions and values -- it's hard to think of a more
      convenient and portable device than a paperback book, and
      videogames are more captivating than simply watching that
      Darned Little Screen -- the idea that reading and its
      attendant call on the imagination and on contemplation must
      surely be challenged. Indeed, the opening image of The
      Shire in Jackson's "Fellowship" has Frodo doing just that,
      in an idyllic setting.

      Am I making too much of this?

      --Jan

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • Jane Bigelow
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13, 2002
        Jan,

        What really disturbs me about this is its assumption that reading is a
        fringe activity, one that Truly Important People don't have time to do.
        There's been a certain pride in being frantically busy for some time now.
        It's evidently a sign of how essential a person is. I'm inclined to agree
        with the New York writer Fran Lebkowitz. She recommended that, unless you
        are working on a cure for cancer, you take occasional time off. I'd add a
        suggestion to spend some of it reading and thinking.

        What would have happened if Frodo had been off at a meeting of the Hobbits
        Home Association revising their bylaws when Gandalf came by?

        Jane

        At 07:47 AM 6/13/02 -0700, you wrote:
        > The New York Times ran a disturbing quote today as its
        > online leader-teaser, from one Ed Needham, new managing
        > It read:
        >
        > All the great media adventures of the 20th
        > century have been visual. Television, movies,
        > the Internet, they're all visual mediums and
        > I don't think people have time to sit down
        > and read.
        >
        > While I don't believe Mr Needham is correct, even embracing
        > his assumptions and values -- it's hard to think of a more
        > convenient and portable device than a paperback book, and
        > videogames are more captivating than simply watching that
        > Darned Little Screen -- the idea that reading and its
        > attendant call on the imagination and on contemplation must
        > Indeed, the opening image of The
        >"" has Frodo doing just that,
        > in an idyllic setting.
        >
        > Am I making too much of this?
        >
        > --Jan

        > http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      • michael_martinez2
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 13, 2002
          --- In mythsoc@y..., Jan Theodore Galkowski <disneylogic@y...> wrote:
          > The New York Times ran a disturbing quote today as its
          > online leader-teaser, from one Ed Needham, new managing
          > editor of ROLLING STONE Magazine. It read:
          >
          > All the great media adventures of the 20th
          > century have been visual. Television, movies,
          > the Internet, they're all visual mediums and
          > I don't think people have time to sit down
          > and read.

          The irony gushes from this statement.