Not quite definite, but:

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 24, 1999
      Tolkien Movie News

      Welcome to the Ringbearer.org! If you have news that could be on this page,
      send it to me and I'll put it up.

      ---> Save Tom Bombadil! Sign the petition! <---

      You can also contact me via ICQ: my number is 18734199

      Click here to send a scoop!

      News - Links - Message board - FAQ - Info - Pics - Store - Cast Archives -
      Written Word - Fan Art - Letters - Extras - Trivia

      News for Monday August 23, 1999 01:17:46 CST by Joram
      LOTR Over SW in Poll
      Last Week Comingsoon.net held a poll to see which trilogy people thought
      would gross more, SW or LOTR, and LOTR came out on top!:

      The Coming Soon! Survey Results:
      Although it was hard for us to grasp that "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy,
      including "The Fellowship of the Rings" (2000), "The Return of the King"
      (2001), and "The Two Towers" (2001), could compete with 'The Force', with a
      strong following, as the results show below, this might just be the case.
      Don't get us wrong though, the movies have some work cut out for them if they
      want to beat the Star Wars Trilogy (whose "The Phantom Menace" already has
      earned $650 million worldwide!), with a more wide recognition of Tolkien's
      stories nothing is impossible. 1728 Visitors Voted for which 'Trilogy' will
      gross more at the box office, here are the results:

      Lord of the Rings Trilogy
      905 votes

      The Star Wars Prequels
      823 votes

      Thanks to all who voted for LOTR, excellent to see fan support for these epic
      movies in the making!

      News for Monday August 23, 1999 00:16:34 CST by Joram
      Saruman in Final Negotiations!!
      Yahoo News is reporting that British Actor Christopher Lee is in final
      negotiations to play Saruman in the upcoming Lord of the Rings films!

      Lee Sinks Teeth Into 'Ring' Cycle
      By Vanessa Torres

      HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - British actor Christopher Lee is in final negotiations
      to co-star as Saruman in New Line's adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's trilogy,
      ``The Lord of the Rings.''

      Lee will join Ian McKellen and Elijah Wood in director Peter Jackson's first
      installment. Shooting is scheduled to begin in October.
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 24, 1999
        Sorry about the excess material I posted - I was trying to deliver the news
        about Christopher Lee as JoanV so neatly did.
      • Steve Schaper
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 24, 1999
          At 10:34 AM -0400 8/24/99, Stolzi@... wrote:

          >News for Monday August 23, 1999 00:16:34 CST by Joram
          >Saruman in Final Negotiations!!

          Oh dear. I suppose he wants information on ring technology in
          exchange for appearing.
          ======================================
          It's 1999, where's Moonbase Alpha?
        • Joan Marie Verba
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 24, 1999
            Mary wrote:

            >Sorry about the excess material I posted

            I found it most interesting. Thanks.
            Joan

            Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
            List administrator for DocEx, MythSoc, MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists