Re: What is "Mythopoeic"

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 19, 1999
      At 9:11 AM -0700 8/19/99, Staci Dumoski wrote:

      >How do we define "mythopoeic", and can we say that there are people
      >writing mythopoeic fiction today?

      My two cents is that a mythopoeic work would have to involve the
      meaning-elements that compose mythology. To deal with them in some
      way. Babylon 5 is mythopoeic, Star Trek is not. The Silmarillion is
      mythopoeic, The Hobbit is not.

      --Steve
      It's 1999, where's Moonbase Alpha?
    • d.bratman@xxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 22, 1999
        Steve Schaper:

        Could you please elaborate on how you feel that _The Hobbit_ is not
        mythopoeic and does not deal with mythological elements in some way?

        David Bratman