Re: 1998 books

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 1999
      > From: Staci Dumoski <unicorn@...>
      >
      > I hope I won't be accused of self-promotion here, but the ezine I publish,
      > Phantastes (which many of you will probably find interesting), includes an
      > article by Victoria Strauss, author of _The Arm of the Stone_, on the
      > subject of world building. I enjoyed the novel very much, and the
      > article gives some really interesting insight into the writing process.

      And I'd like to give Phantastes a thumbs-up. I discovered it about a month
      ago and really enjoyed what Staci's got up there. It's definitely worth a
      look.

      Matthew Winslow mwinslow@...
      http://www.firinn.org/~mwinslow/
      "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading
      them." - Joseph Brodsky

      Currently reading: Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
    • Staci Dumoski
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 1999
        On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Diane Baker wrote:

        > I'd like to see that article. I take it I can get it from your online
        > address?

        Yes, it's available at http://www.nocturne.org/phantastes (along with a
        number of other articles on fantasy lit).

        Best,
        Staci Dumoski
      • Diane Baker
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 1999

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6, 1999
            Staci Dumoski wrote:

            > From: Staci Dumoski <unicorn@...>
            >
            > I hope I won't be accused of self-promotion here, but the ezine I publish,
            > Phantastes (which many of you will probably find interesting), includes an
            > article by Victoria Strauss, author of _The Arm of the Stone_, on the
            > subject of world building. I enjoyed the novel very much, and the
            > article gives some really interesting insight into the writing process.
            >
            > Best,
            > Staci
            >
            > *** *** ***
            > Staci Dumoski unicorn@...
            > Editor, Phantastes http://www.nocturne.org/phantastes
            > The Online Journal of Fantasy Criticism
            >
            >I'd like to pay you a compliment on your online 'zine. It's got some great stuff; esp. enjoyed the Victoria Strauss article, and the books on world-building---two of which I already own.

            Maybe you can help me: I'm looking for some material on magical rules
            and systems. I don't necessarily want spells or original sources (a la
            Dion Fortune) but articles on how to design a good magical system. Any
            pointers? Have already checked out the *Encyclopedia of Fantasy* by
            Clute and Co. Interesting, but I really want a copy of the whole
            encyclopedia, and can't afford it just now! My library doesn't have a
            copy, so can't Xerox or take notes. Thanks. ---djb.