Re: [mythsoc] [Fwd: question about the Lord of the Rings]

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 5 , May 16, 2002
      Hey, the books are now in the top 10 of most sales lists. Right behind the
      Harry Potter books, if they will list honestly. Since the NY Times has
      decided the HP and LotR aren't "Adult" books, they aren't on their main list,
      ie some publishers convinced them to move the most popular books off the main
      list so that their less popular books could be on the NYT Top 10 list. *sigh*

      They have always sold well. Each new book has always hit the top 10 (usually
      #1). They've kinda fallen out of lists because no one needed yet another
      copy. Now the movies have introduced more people to the books, plus there are
      new editions completests need to own.

      But yes, I'd say the books are popular.

      So why do these people act like they need information about this. I think
      it's a translation problem, they are from Japan. They are trying to
      *understand* the popularity of a books, ie why do people like them so much?
      Since it is obvious from the sales of the books and movies that people really
      do.

      Frankly, I think the books speak for themselves. David should probably talk
      to them, he comes off as an educated fanatic.

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 16, 2002
        In a message dated 5/16/02 8:08:48 PM Central Daylight Time,
        lisa@... writes:

        > Hey, the books are now in the top 10 of most sales lists.

        Sorry my irony didn't make it across the ether!! You are very right, Lisa,
        the books are and have been immensely popular, and I think we should sic the
        Japanese on David, for sure :)

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • michael_martinez2
        Message 3 of 5 , May 20, 2002
          Despite the fact there is a translation issue concerned, the request
          looks like a standard "how many copies have been sold" question to
          me. I've been asked that question a number of times, myself.

          The most commonly cited figure comes from the 1992 count, which put
          THE LORD OF THE RINGS at 50 million copies. In 1998 or 1999 I came
          across a news story which estimated sales had reached 80 million
          copies (in 30 languages) and that Tolkien had sold more than 100
          million books altogether.

          Either HarperCollins or Houghton Mifflin was supposed to publish new
          sales figures last year, but I never saw them. However, about the
          time the movie came out in December, I started to see media citations
          of more than 100 million copies sold for THE LORD OF THE RINGS.

          I doubt there is really any accurate or reliable information
          regarding the popularity of THE LORD OF THE RINGS. In my opinion,
          you would have to gauge sales of tertiary books (including David
          Day's books) and the Christopher Tolkien-edited books.

          My eBook, PARMA ENDORION: ESSAYS ON MIDDLE-EARTH, 3rd edition, has
          been downloaded more than 50,000 times since January 5. We may break
          60,000 downloads by the end of this month (but the download rate is
          diminishing, so I'm not sure). I'm projecting a total download
          volume of about 75-80,000 copies for this year.

          That eBook has been promoted mostly through my own Web site, although
          the 2nd edition Parma Endorion Web site was favorably mentioned by
          Yahoo! Internet Life's online poll (and that undoubtedly, coupled
          with my TV GUIDE interview, lies behind much of the eBook's
          popularity).

          I think that, if an eBook of collected essays can generate that many
          downloads, the published books even by people like David Day must
          have sold hundreds of thousands of copies through the years. The
          collected reference work/commentary work sales must have gone well
          beyond the 5 million mark.

          But that's just a guestimate. It would be nice to know if there is
          any way to find out. It does seem like, however, that about all you
          have to do to move a book is slap Tolkien's name or Middle-earth on
          it.

          If nothing else, it would give me something new to tell the media if
          they come calling again next Fall.