Bruce Pelz

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2002
      I regret to announce the passing of one of the oldest of the old-time
      Tolkien fans.

      Bruce E. Pelz was one of the founders of The Fellowship of the Ring, which
      so far as I know was the first-ever specifically Tolkien fan club. It was
      based in Los Angeles, and published four issues of a fanzine, "I Palantir",
      between 1960 (or thereabouts) and 1966; Bruce was the editor of the last
      two issues.

      The group was an off-shoot of science-fiction fandom, in which Bruce was
      and remained very active, as a convention runner, club organizer,
      collector, bibliographer, and bookseller. He was also an engineering
      librarian at UCLA and, after his retirement, a great traveler. Bruce was a
      friend of mine and of many others'. He died Thursday in LA at the age of 65.

      David Bratman
    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2002
        I'm sorry that you've lost your friend, David; and anyone else here who knew
        Mr. Pelz, please accept my condolences. ("I will not say, do not weep; for
        not all tears are an evil.")

        Susan
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 11, 2002
          I'm sorry, David.

          Died at 65... that's young by today's standards.

          Mary
        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 5 , May 11, 2002
            Died at 65... that's young by today's standards.

            Mary

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
            Message 5 of 5 , May 11, 2002
              I too knew Bruce. He was always a hard worker for SF and Fantasy fandom. He is
              the chair for this year's Westercon (a big regional convention on July 4
              weekend). There is now a major hole in the heart of fandom.

              He will be missed.

              Mythically yours,
              Lisa