Elves + Men

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10 5:08 AM
      Susan noted recently that all recorded (in LotR) pairings of Elves and Men
      had been of female Elves and male humans, and asked: are there any records
      elsewhere in Tolkien's work of any of the reverse sexes?

      Yes. I had forgotten until re-reading this text, but in the Athrabeth, the
      Debate of Finrod and Andreth, it is revealed that Andreth as a young woman
      had loved and been loved by Aegnor, Finrod's brother. They did not marry,
      because "in time of war ... the Elves do not wed or bear child," Finrod
      says (a statement perhaps somewhat contradicted by the pairing of Tuor and
      Idril, at least), but he assures her that his brother did love her, and for
      her sake will never marry. Andreth's bitter reply is that her short life
      would not have delayed him from the wars for long.

      This is on pages 323-6 of _Morgoth's Ring_.

      David Bratman
    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 10 6:27 AM
        Thanks, David! As a matter of fact, I read that very passage yesterday,
        after getting MORGOTH'S RING out from my university library -- along with a
        slew of other books I want to read to prepare for my Tolkien course this
        fall, but most of which I probably won't get to, since the bulk of our summer
        seems to be taken up with family visits.

        Eeek! I love my family, but I need two summers: one to visit and one to
        work.

        I'm feeling quite daunted, and have to keep reminding myself that if I only
        get the students to read LotR thoughtfully and carefully, and give them even
        some of the relevant background info, the semester will be a success. After
        all, I couldn't cover all of Tolkien's legendarium in one semester even if I
        *had* read everything . . . .

        Susan