Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien as visionary?

    Message 1 of 4 , May 9, 2002
      I've seen a discussion of this petition on a message board. I'm told (but
      haven't checked myself) that it appears that the petition is either a joke or
      most of the people signing it are treating it as a joke. I'm told that
      there's also a counter-petition to keep the name.

      Wendell Wagner
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9, 2002
        If it isn't a joke, all the signers seem to be taking it as one. At least the
        polite ones are. The impolite ones, well, I can't even print their responses here.
        Let's just say they are calling the petition starter a fool and a jackass, and
        those are the polite forms of the words.

        People don't seem upset with the movie named "The Two Towers", they are upset with
        the revisionist history that nothing happened before 9-11 that can ever mention
        those words. Never mind the fact the the World Trade Center was the "Twin Towers".

        RIP Tolkien. The idiot is being shot down.

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa

        Matthew Winslow wrote:

        > This has gotta be a joke. But I guess it's a sign of the times that I'm not
        > positive it is:

        Web addresses deleted for sanity's sake.
      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9, 2002
          Not funny. Anyone who would purport to be affected by 9/11 terrorism who did not directly lose someone in that act of war is exploiting the situation themselves, for a joke. While it is true that we were all emotionally affected, that in no way matches the loss of those who no longer have a family member with them at the dinner table. These "jokers" should be placed in a stock and subjected to thrown tomatoes at sunrise. Rotten ones. Aside from which their vast ignorance of JRRT is showing. ---djb

          http://mail2web.com/ .