Tolkien as visionary?

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9 8:16 AM
      This has gotta be a joke. But I guess it's a sign of the times that I'm not
      positive it is:

      http://www.msnbc.com/news/749507.asp

      "Some movie fans are blasting the next "Lord of the Rings" flick, charging that
      it exploits the World Trade Center tragedy. The next installment in the sequel
      is called "The Two Towers," and a group calling itself Those Affected by
      September 11 is petitioning director Peter Jackson and studio New Line Cinema
      to change the name "to something less offensive."

      The petition is here:

      http://www.petitiononline.com/twotower/petition.html

      "Nowadays we don't live in a literary generation. We live in a generation
      of lookers, not readers. That is one of our great problems as Christians.
      We are book people in a non-book world."
      --J. Alec Motyer
      Currently reading: A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9 8:45 AM
        I've seen a discussion of this petition on a message board. I'm told (but
        haven't checked myself) that it appears that the petition is either a joke or
        most of the people signing it are treating it as a joke. I'm told that
        there's also a counter-petition to keep the name.

        Wendell Wagner
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9 2:10 PM
          If it isn't a joke, all the signers seem to be taking it as one. At least the
          polite ones are. The impolite ones, well, I can't even print their responses here.
          Let's just say they are calling the petition starter a fool and a jackass, and
          those are the polite forms of the words.

          People don't seem upset with the movie named "The Two Towers", they are upset with
          the revisionist history that nothing happened before 9-11 that can ever mention
          those words. Never mind the fact the the World Trade Center was the "Twin Towers".

          RIP Tolkien. The idiot is being shot down.

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa

          Matthew Winslow wrote:

          > This has gotta be a joke. But I guess it's a sign of the times that I'm not
          > positive it is:

          Web addresses deleted for sanity's sake.
        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 4 , May 9 3:03 PM
            Not funny. Anyone who would purport to be affected by 9/11 terrorism who did not directly lose someone in that act of war is exploiting the situation themselves, for a joke. While it is true that we were all emotionally affected, that in no way matches the loss of those who no longer have a family member with them at the dinner table. These "jokers" should be placed in a stock and subjected to thrown tomatoes at sunrise. Rotten ones. Aside from which their vast ignorance of JRRT is showing. ---djb

            http://mail2web.com/ .