Dumb Newbie Question #592

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8 6:21 PM
      Okay, so, where can I find the poem "Mythopoeia" printed?

      This is your chance to show that you all know more than I do. But you
      already knew that. <g>

      Susan
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8 6:41 PM
        SusanPal@... wrote:

        > Okay, so, where can I find the poem "Mythopoeia" printed?

        The one place I know for sure the whole poem is printed is in the
        1992 Grafton edition of TREE AND LEAF (earlier editions of this
        book don't have it; I don't know about later ones). This edition
        also includes an introduction by Christopher Tolkien, which is
        another point that may make it easier to identify to booksellers.

        Good luck!

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>
      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8 7:34 PM
          Thanks, Margaret!

          SP
        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 4 , May 9 4:00 AM
            Margaret Dean wrote:

            >SusanPal@... wrote:
            >>
            >> Okay, so, where can I find the poem "Mythopoeia" printed?
            >
            >The one place I know for sure the whole poem is printed is in the
            >1992 Grafton edition of TREE AND LEAF (earlier editions of this
            >book don't have it; I don't know about later ones). This edition
            >also includes an introduction by Christopher Tolkien, which is
            >another point that may make it easier to identify to booksellers.

            "Mythopoeia" was first printed in full in the new British (Unwin Hyman)
            hardcover and paperback editions of _Tree and Leaf_ in 1988 and the
            American (Houghton Mifflin) edition in 1989. This is now out of print in
            the U.S., but in early 2001 HarperCollins UK reissued it, in paperback
            only, adding _The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth_; this is still available, e.g.
            from Amazon U.K.

            Wayne Hammond