Re: [mythsoc] More Sex and Death for the Kiddies, oh joy

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 5, 2002
      In a message dated 5/5/2002 7:52:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      > Right, Potter/Malfoy slash fiction. Should have expected it.

      From my very desultory knowledge of HP fanfic -- which I haven't read, but
      have read *about* -- I gather it's kind of like LotR slash, Wendell: any
      pairings you can imagine (and some you don't want to) have been written.

      Speaking of fanfic, I recently skimmed an absolutely hilarious -- I think the
      humor was even intentional -- LotR Mary-Sue parody in which Boromir's
      15-year-old niece, who has a crush on Legolas, whines her way into the
      Fellowship, soon joined by a small army of her schoolchums. This one, you'll
      be relieved to know, appears to have no sex; Legolas is amused by and fond of
      the teenyboppers and tries to be kind to them without hurting their feelings.
      (I suspect this fanfic was inspired by the widespread fannish midrash of the
      movie moment when Legolas tells Aragorn that a shadow and a threat is growing
      in his mind; the media-savvy believe that Legolas is really warning his human
      comrade, not against orcs, but against legions of swooning young women.)

      Back to HP: IMO, the fourth book is actually extremely dark. If she makes
      the fifth any darker, she'll be on the verge of Pullman territory: supposed
      kids' books which may be too grim for at least some actual children.

      Susan

    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2002
        Well, there's one factual error in here:

        >Thousands of teenagers and adults have attempted to fill the gap left by
        >the delay in the fifth book with Harry Potter stories of their own, usually
        >posted on Web sites and sometimes running to hundreds of pages. It took
        >decades of "Star Trek" reruns to inspire a genre of "fan fiction," but just
        >two years without a Harry Potter book.

        Hardly decades. Trek fan fiction was already a long-standing enterprise
        (sorry) with a huge backlog when I first came across it in 1975, by which
        the show had been off the air 6 years. And that was years before slash
        fiction was at all evident, btw.

        DB
      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2002
          WendellWag@... wrote:

          > It took
          > > decades of "Star Trek" reruns to inspire a genre of "fan fiction," but just
          > >
          > > two years without a Harry Potter book.
          > >

          > It took less than a decade of _Star Trek_ reruns. There were already Star
          > Trek fanzines in the late '70's (and perhaps in the early '70's).

          The first Star Trek fanzine was published in September 1967. (See my
          book, Boldly Writing, at http://www.ftlpublications.com)

          Joan
          Joan Marie Verba
          verba001@...
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 6, 2002
            The thought of Harry/Draco slashfic really turned my stomach (worse than a
            Bernie Botts snot flavour bean, that.)

            I very much share Susan's apprehensions.

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6, 2002
              A websearch on "Malfoy, Potter, slash" turned up the following rather
              entertaining article

              http://www.salon.com/people/feature/2001/12/10/slash/?x

              Now shut up and kiss me, you wascally wabbit!

              Diamond Proudbrook