Re: [mythsoc] Carry On Up the Franchise

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2002
      Hiding in all of Jeremy's comments about Phantom Menace are some good
      points: the storytelling simply did not hang together.

      On one broad level, the plot can be summarized as: a delegation from Naboo
      goes to the Imperial capital, and returns. Here lies the problem, for 1)
      given the reason they went (a desperate last throw to get Imperial
      attention on the attack), it made no sense to turn right around and come
      back, and 2) given the reason they came back (the complete failure of the
      political mission), it made no sense to have gone. (The characters might
      not have known that, but Lucas should have.)

      Everything else that happened was subsumed under this flimsy, pointless
      structure. For instance, the entire Anakin episode comes under the heading
      of a pit stop.

      I enjoyed the original SW, and Empire actually approached being a good
      film. But Return was dreadful, and PM was up among the top 3 most
      mind-bogglingly boring films I've ever sat all the way through. It had all
      the excitement and adventure of a childhood family car trip across
      Nevada. I intend to avoid the remainder of this saga entirely.

      David Bratman
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2002
        I'm with David. SW #1 in 1977 was one of the great events of my life,
        film-wise; when that huge ship roared over my head, I knew SF film had just
        taken a quantum leap, and what followed did not disappoint.

        But I've been bored ever since, even with the first two sequels. Didn't
        even bother to see the new inflictions.

        Cuddly Ewoks, faugh! Jar Jar Binks, no no no!

        Diamond Proudbrook