Re: [mythsoc] Carry On Up the Franchise

    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2002
      In a message dated 5/5/2002 12:04:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      jrobinson@... writes:

      > It's no surprise, either, that Vader was the most interesting
      > character in the first Star Wars trilogy. Lucas had recognized this in
      > returning to the Star Wars universe a second time in 1999, and making the
      > prequel trilogy primarily Vader's story (of descending from good to evil).
      > Across the six films, Vader traverses from good to evil and back to good
      > again
      > (via his redemption).

      Lucas apparently had the basic story of Darth Vader's life worked out when
      the first film came out in 1977. By the time of the second film in 1980, he
      had already announced that he would be making another trilogy as a prequel to
      the first trilogy. I agree that the story of Vader's life is fascinating and
      that it's what's holding the entire series of films together. See my review
      of _The Phantom Menace_ at http://www.dcfilmsociety (Click on Reviews and
      then on _The Phantom Menace_. It's also appeared in a slightly different
      form in _Mythprint_.) I'm more favorable about _The Phantom Menace_ than you
      are, but I think that it's the overall story of the Star Wars series that
      makes it great.

    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2002
        Hiding in all of Jeremy's comments about Phantom Menace are some good
        points: the storytelling simply did not hang together.

        On one broad level, the plot can be summarized as: a delegation from Naboo
        goes to the Imperial capital, and returns. Here lies the problem, for 1)
        given the reason they went (a desperate last throw to get Imperial
        attention on the attack), it made no sense to turn right around and come
        back, and 2) given the reason they came back (the complete failure of the
        political mission), it made no sense to have gone. (The characters might
        not have known that, but Lucas should have.)

        Everything else that happened was subsumed under this flimsy, pointless
        structure. For instance, the entire Anakin episode comes under the heading
        of a pit stop.

        I enjoyed the original SW, and Empire actually approached being a good
        film. But Return was dreadful, and PM was up among the top 3 most
        mind-bogglingly boring films I've ever sat all the way through. It had all
        the excitement and adventure of a childhood family car trip across
        Nevada. I intend to avoid the remainder of this saga entirely.

        David Bratman
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2002
          I'm with David. SW #1 in 1977 was one of the great events of my life,
          film-wise; when that huge ship roared over my head, I knew SF film had just
          taken a quantum leap, and what followed did not disappoint.

          But I've been bored ever since, even with the first two sequels. Didn't
          even bother to see the new inflictions.

          Cuddly Ewoks, faugh! Jar Jar Binks, no no no!

          Diamond Proudbrook